Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Moving on up

jakfirstday
First day at SoH

DSC_3313edit
Last day at SoH

I cannot say enough good things about our time at Spectrum of Hope.  It was an answer to YEARS of prayers.  YEARS.   Jakson has grown so much, not just physically (he had just turned 6 when he started attending Hope Academy), but emotionally, socially, and especially in his communication.  He was barely speaking in sentences and now he can (kind of) tell a cohesive story about something that has happened!

DSC_3319edit

I can't say that I'm totally on board with the transition to public school, mainly because I want to protect him and the best way to do that is to leave him where he is.  But Zak reminds me quite often that if we leave him in his safe little bubble, Jak won't have an opportunity to do more growing.  I guess he's right, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

DSC_3343edit

In a way, it's the end of an era.  He no longer needs 40 hours of ABA a week.  I no longer have to fight every few months with the insurance company to make sure those 40 hours are covered (well, sort of covered).  I don't have to spend nights not sleeping, wondering how the heck we are going to pay for it or worrying about scholarship money.  Those things have consumed my life for so long (now I get to worry about bullies and IEPs and teachers and open concept classrooms instead).  He's developed enough wonderful skills that now he can practice using them in a real classroom with typical peers.  I'm so proud of his progress.

DSC_3325edit
Our beloved Miss Kori and Miss Nikki 

I'm so so grateful for the love and support that his therapists have given Jak for the past three years, especially his main therapist, Miss Kori and the program director, Miss Nikki.   I will miss them more than they can imagine.   Thankfully I don't have to cut the apron strings completely as we will still be at the clinic once a week for speech therapy and a visit to his psychologist.

DSC_3340edit
DSC_3330edit

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Congratulations Jakson, I'm excited for you!

Megan said...

I am so excited/nervous for Jakson!! It is amazing to see his transformation and progress over these last few years! Love you Jak.

Related Posts with Thumbnails