Monday, May 12, 2014

Valentine's 2014

valentinescollage
This year was a special Valentine's Day for Zak and I because it marked ten years since our relationship began.  Ten years ago on February 14th, Zak kissed me for the first time (after being rejected a couple of times.  He is nothing if not persistent) and then we dated for two whole weeks before getting engaged.   I called my mom to tell her that I was thinking about getting engaged and she paused for a moment and then asked, "to who???"   It was definitely a whirlwind and not something I'd recommend to everyone, but it was right for us (though I understand if you think we are crazy).

During the months of our friendship leading up to dating and our engagement, Zak wrote me an email almost every day (he really really liked me).  He would compose it late at night so that I would receive it as I sat down to my desk in the morning.  It was one of the many things that finally convinced me that he was amazing.  All of the emails back and forth were still sitting in our accounts, so I compiled them all into a little book I had bound at Kinko's for his Valentine's present.   The collage above was the front cover and is made up of photos from our friendship/dating/engagement. 

Apparently I wasn't the only one with the idea of the "10 years ago today" theme.  Zak recreated the same gift he gave me that first Valentine's Day and our date that night (Jamba Juice and a viewing of My Fair Lady).  He even stole the exact bear that he got me from Storey's stuffed animal stash.  But we gave it back to her....


Storey's gift was equally thoughtful.  She found the most pink thing she could and made it into a card for me.  It was left, dripping wet with glue on my nightstand.

Miraculously, she let me do her hair for school. Normally, she complains about having braids but this took a lot longer (I'm not very experienced because she starts to scream when I come near her with a brush) and had to be redone a couple of times.  She loved the results though.  A new Valentine's tradition? 
Jakson isn't into mushy holidays, but he shared with us some some wicked bedhead that morning (kind of a daily tradition).

1 comments:

Vanessa said...

Oh, my gosh, this post made me laugh out loud--Storey's card for you!!! Love Jak's hair, and the ultra thoughtful Valentine's day you shared.

Related Posts with Thumbnails