Saturday, February 15, 2014

First

firstgame About four years ago, I enrolled Jakson in swim lessons.  We went to the public pool for our first lesson and Jak took one look at all of the people, covered his ears and screamed.  For the full 30 minute lesson.    That, and other similar experiences, convinced Zak and I that Jak was probably not destined for sports, especially not team sports.

This year he started playing soccer at recess with a couple of the older boys at his therapy clinic (school) and then began asking if he could play on a real team.  I was extremely hesitant-I didn't want to put him in a position to be teased, I was worried I would find him in the corner in the fetal position during every game, I was worried in general about his unpredictability.  I wrote a blog post about it and received a lot of encouraging words from parents.  After a bit of research and some (I believe) divine intervention, we were able to find a league with little "in it to win it" type pressure and ended up on a team with other kids from our church congregation.  In fact, Zak is coaching with one of the guys from church, who also happens to have a son on the spectrum.   God is absolutely in all of the details.

Even with the ideal soccer team (and coach), I was still a little nervous this morning before Jak's big game.  I absolutely should not have been.  Jak was amazing.  He scored the only two goals of the game, ran after the ball, cheered for his friends, and loved every minute.  And definitely no fetal position.  After the game he told me that now he has to learn how to do a header.  Awesome.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Yay!!! I am so proud of him. I love that he loves soccer! Hopefully I might get to see some of his skills when we see you in Phoenix!

Jon said...

Way to go Jakson! We are very proud. When is his next game? We'd love to cheer him on unless a fan sections would bother him.

Jennifer said...

Yeah! So glad you found something for him and that he is still loving it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails