Thursday, September 19, 2013

Not a puppy dog anymore.

Right after Jakson was born, I had some sort of meltdown about Jak never being tiny again and growing up.  I was slightly crazy at that point (no need to ask if anything has changed).   Somewhere in the midst of my rambling, an analogy about puppies vs. dogs was born.  It has been a running joke ever since.  Every time Jakson reaches a new milestone, Zak reminds me that he's not a puppy anymore.  And then I punch him in the arm (Zak, not Jakson).

Yesterday Jak got his very first pair of glasses.  As we walked out of Walmart, Zak looked at me and said, "Now he's definitely a dog instead of a puppy."  My little baby boy is growing up.  I'm not a fan.


Sometimes the Lord leads you to certain people and conversations.  A few weeks ago at a birthday lunch for my friend Kristy, I started talking to another friend about the appointment she'd just returned from with a developmental opthamologist for her son.   Jakson has struggled so much with his reading and some of the things that she was saying resonated with me, so I decided to take him to the same doctor.   It was expensive, but so worth the money.  Since his diagnosis, this has been the most enlightening doctor's appointment I've been to.  What a blessing.

Like I said, Jakson has been struggling with reading for a long time.  In fact, we have even had him evaluated for dyslexia because he seemed to be scrambling letters and often tried to sound words out backwards.  He loves to be read TO, but gets very frustrated when he has to read.  This appointment revealed that he has a tracking problem, eye muscle imbalance, is farsighted, and is left eye dominant----a myriad of issues that absolutely explain why he's had so many troubles with reading! Poor guy. 

The doctor had Jak read a short story while a computer tracked his eyes and they were all over the place, sometimes crossing or going in two different directions at the same time.  The tracking device showed results that look much like a heart monitor.  By the end of the story, his left eye had flatlined completely, meaning he wasn't using it at all.  And being left eye dominant often reveals itself like dyslexia-reading backwards, etc.    The dr also explained that because of the way his eye muscles work, he basically has no depth perception.  And all of this time I just thought he liked running into walls and people (Seriously, we did.  Sensory seeker and all that).  She said that the glasses could help alleviate some of the anxiety he has in large groups as well because he will be able to tell where they are in relation to him.  These are like miracle glasses!!

I am so excited to have more "reason" (not excuse) for some of the things he deals with--it helps me to be a more patient parent and feel less frustrated when he's just not catching on to things the way I think he should.  And it will help him in the long run be more successful!  Win, win, win.

2 comments:

Veronica said...

You're such a rad advocate and mama for your kids!!

Sharon said...

He looks great! I think glasses on kids are awesome...though I might be biased since I was one of them. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails