Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Girl Who Cried Wolf

2012-07-21_1342882928 

Two weeks ago Jakson and Storey attended a little science daycamp at Storey's preschool.  Jakson was in a class with 6-10 year olds so there were quite a few children older than him.  One day when I came to pick him up from school, he was very upset and told me that some older boys had been making fun of him in the bathroom.  Fortunately I was able to get the whole story from the teacher.  Basically Jakson pulled his pants all the way to pee and, unbeknownst to me (because I don't spend a lot of time in men's bathrooms), that is just not done.  I guess now that I really think about it I can see why, but frankly it had not occurred to me before.  Jakson told the teacher, the boys were reprimanded and apologized, Zak is working with Jak on the whole "don't drop your drawers" thing at home, end of story.

This past week Storey came home from a one day preschool class and told me that she had pulled her bathing suit down to change into her regular clothes (it was "Water Day") and two boys had laughed at her.   Remembering this fabricated story ("There goes the fat girl), Jakson's incident the week before, and Storey's desire to always be the center of attention, I began quizzing her about it.  I asked her if the boys should get in trouble or if I should call the teacher and she replied, "No".  A sure sign of a lie.  After about 15 minutes of this back and forth, she finally admitted that the story was indeed made up.

She got her mouth washed out with soap.

The following day I was at a women's church function in the evening.  Storey's teacher came and sat down to me and remarked that she had meant to tell me at pick up that there was a little problem the day before but with the madness of pick up hadn't had the chance.  She proceeded to tell me basically the same account that Storey had "made up" the day before.

Oops.

I'm sure she deserved to have her mouth washed out with soap for something.



0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails