Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Alligators like marshmallows. And small dogs.

DSC_0341edit
Almost a family portrait. I'm in the photo due to sunglasses reflection. Definitely the way I look best.

A couple of weeks ago, we took advantage of Zak's Friday off and pulled Jakson out of school to spend the day together as a family. (He's in kindergarten. How much could he possibly be missing???). Across town there's a state park called Brazos Bend. There's not a whole lot of "hiking" here--highest landmark is an overpass, not Squaw Peak anymore--- but this state park is even cooler because it boasts of over 200 alligators. No fences. No walls. Just you and the gators.

Sort of related sidenote: Have I mentioned we have a neighbor with a fan boat? The kind seen on Swamp People? We're not in Kansas Utah anymore, people.

A great time was had by all. Especially since we basically had the place to ourselves. The only negative was that we weren't able to use our awesome bike stroller. We discovered the night before that somehow we left Utah without the handlebar and one tire. Oops. That brings our tally of missing stuff to about $300. Great, just great. Thankfully, my mom swept in to save the day with a wagon.

Storey loved the wagon. She used it as a chaise lounge-it's tough being three. I think at one point she may have asked me to fan her with palm fronds.
DSC_0315edit
And yes, she ALWAYS wears her sunglasses upside down.

I'm an idiot and didn't take a zoom lens (or our binoculars) with us. I certainly didn't want to wade into the weeds surrounding the water to get a closer shot, so a cropped photo will have to do. This was just one of the 32 alligators (you know Jakson took it upon himself to count them all) that we saw.
DSC_0324edit

Come and visit us and we'll take you. No fences! Alligators! There are signs all over to keep an eye on children and small dogs, though I did read that no deaths or injuries had ever occurred in the park. Safety first.

2 comments:

Camille said...

I want someone to pull ME around while I lounge. Storey lives a hard life ;)

Megan said...

Oh Storey, what a drama queen. I seriously love that picture of her. Hilarious.

Related Posts with Thumbnails