Sunday, June 26, 2011

Spray Paint Season

Before we got married, Zak and I bought a bed frame that is really beautiful, but now A-doesn't fit in our very small bedroom and B- isn't really our style anymore. So, it's in storage, along with the majority of our other possessions. Our bed really looks bare without a headboard though. After a trip to IKEA as-is (my very favorite place to find stuff to repurpose) and one can of gray spray paint, we now have the perfect headboard. And the price was definitely right. The total for the whole project was less than $10!


beforeafterheadboard

Because we are going to be moving again soon, I didn't want to spend a ton of time sanding and priming the headboard (it will certainly get scuffed in the move), so I just cleaned it with a little Windex to get any dust off, let that dry, and sprayed it. Frankly, even if we weren't moving, I probably wouldn't have primed or sanded this piece. I reserve that for things that look hideous to begin with and will need a lot of paint to thoroughly cover. Zak attached a couple of 1x4 pieces (that we also found in the IKEA as-is) to each side of the back of the door to make it taller.

One of my favorite spray paint tips: If you've ever done a lot of spray painting, you know that your finger really starts to get sore after awhile. Ouch. I picked up a nozzle attachment (Walmart-$2.50) a few projects back and it makes all the difference!! No more sore fingers and the paint goes on with more even strokes. I will never spray paint without one again. Super cheap and attaches to all spray paint brands (the attachment I have is Rustoleum brand, but I always spray with Krylon). If you are planning on doing a lot of painting this summer, I highly recommend getting one (And no, they aren't paying me to say that. But they should).
DSC_0210edit

6 comments:

Camille said...

Bow to the queen of the Redo!

Once again, awesome piece!

Megan said...

Love it!!

Sabrina said...

Awesome! We need a headboard too. I have been thinking the same thing- find a door and paint it. I need to get on it because yours looks so great!!!

Audra Bollard said...

So many things to love: your bedding, the awesome headboard project, cute Storey sitting on the bed . . . but I have to say my favorite is that you have a P&P quote framed above. Brings me straight back to the days of the quote board. Good job Bethy!

bethany said...

Audie-I think you are the first person who has noticed that quote!! I should have known it would be you to notice :)

Immeasurably More Mama said...

We need a headboard too! Is this a headboard or door from IKEA? It looks great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails