Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Real.

Blogs are funny things. You know people, but you don't. You think you are getting glimpses into a person's life, but they only show you what they want you to see. Mainly the perfect parts. Not the parts you'd see if you peered through the window without them knowing. The messy house, the rocking chair that collects clothing, the screaming kids, a mascara streaked face. Those things are left out.

In other words, don't believe everything you read.

The reasons why people blog are funny too. For some it's money, followers, popularity...almost like being an anonymous celebrity. For others it's to journal and share photos of their kids. In the past 5ish years since I started blogging, my motives have changed a bit. At first, it was strictly about Jak's comings and goings. A way to share his growth with family far away. Once I realized that people I didn't know had started reading my blog, I sort of lost my purpose for awhile. I checked the stats all the time, started hosting giveaways, wondered why I wasn't as popular as other people....it was a little like high school. And I hated high school. My little family blog had turned into something I didn't want it to be, less about kids and more about having more readers than the next blog. Not a motive to be proud of.

A couple of years ago, I discovered my blog purpose again-keeping a record of life. No more giveaways or checking stats. A lot of things get left out, but I try to be as real as possible. Motherhood is not always easy. Heck, life is not easy. But the blessings of both far outweigh the challenges. Or at least it all evens out in the end.

I've noticed as the decisions Zak and I make become increasingly difficult, I become more private. I have so many worries running through my head at any given time, but don't always want to share. So, if I'm not writing as often or as personally, rest assured we are fine, just dealing with the curve balls life has thrown. With our Father in Heaven's help, everything will work out for the best.

7 comments:

Brittany said...

Don't worry! Most of us have families and we know where you're coming from. It takes a bold and honest woman to write a personal blog and I'm grateful you do. It's nice to know that there are other 'real' moms out there. And it's nice to get away from the blogs that focus so much on giveaways and the 'high school' attitudes. Your blog is great! And the very first one I ever started following and no matter what happens I'm grateful for the things you've posted and the stuff I've learned from you!

-Britt

J, C, and E said...

I fully agree and understand. Even if it's just posts here and there, it's nice to know that you're friends are still out there and probably going through the same stresses in life that you are.

Camille said...

I hate those blogs where everyone is happy and perfect all the time. Phil's cousin writes a blog like that, but in real life her husband is controlling her every move, she can't do very much of the things she loves, and she ignores her son almost completely - I know she's miserable. I know her kid is miserable. Her blog is a complete sham, it's sad.

You know what you guys need? A vacation. To DC. Or Turkmenistan.

Just sayin'. :)

Cami said...

Posts like this make your blog real. There's no reason to share every personal detail of your life on the internet! And I like that you show glimpses of reality in your family life. I've noticed that friends who I have reconnected with by reading their blogs and then meet again in person aren't what I expected from reading their blogs. For one thing, their voices always catch me off guard because I read their blog in my mind in my own voice and relate to them more than I think they know and then the real person is totally different. Anyway, thanks for putting your thoughts out there.

Lori said...

This is a great post Bethany! It's interesting to me to see why people blog too and my reasons have shifted throughout my time in the blogging world too. I'm glad you guys are okay and I'm also really glad you know where to turn for the strength and wisdom to handle the curve balls! I've been there - recently! This was a good post for me to read!

lynette said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto! I love your blog and I love that you keep it real--whether you share a little or a lot.

Sadly, some rude anonymous comments on my blog (apparently I whine too much) have changed the way I post, but I've been wanting to move back to being more authentic and sharing both the good and bad for a while now. Thank you for this post --it's just what I needed to hear today.

Veronica said...

Can I copy and paste this into my own blog and say these are MY thoughts?? Because you hit the nail on the head. Love it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails