Monday, May 02, 2011

Lately

  • Jakson's been perfecting his George McFly laugh. Now Biff....

  • There were a couple of days last week when Utah represented every season in one day, including a morning of unexpected snow. So. annoying. How are you supposed to dress for that? Shaky fist to you, Utah.

  • I've been spending hours on the internet and phone trying to figure out all of the ins and outs to an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for Jakson's kindergarten year. Thank goodness I have an amazing advocate to accompany me, but I'm still feeling quite lost. Sorting through all of the laws and my rights is basically my full time job right now. I'm also having a lot of internal debates. P.E. or no P.E.? Lunch with the other kids or a pull out? Jak is so unpredictable in large social situations that he'll either do great or meltdown. I wish I had a crystal ball. Maybe I'll pick up a Magic 8 Ball on my next shopping trip and make all decisions based on its answers. Signs point to yes.

  • A couple of nights ago, Zak turned on the radio after dinner and Jakson asked him if we could listen to Dave Ramsey. Raising my child right. Check.

  • Storey's current favorite phrase is "Don't talk to me like that, Mommy." To which I reply, "Oh no you didn't." Yikes. What will her junior high years be like?

  • We had so much fun canning jam that we've decided to can again this week. We think tomatoes might be next. Any suggestions? Canning is so romantic.

7 comments:

Lori said...

I so dread having to deal with the ins and outs of IEPs! I hope it goes well, but with you're organized mind, you'll get it all figured out!

Em said...

Um I need to hear this perfected laugh. It sounds amazing to me.
Sorry about all the kindergarten stuff. That is very very stressful. Too bad you don't have the school like on Parenthood, then you wouldn't have to worry. You should start one. Yep. Oh, but start it here so we can live by each other okay? :) Miss you guys, and Harrison REALLY misses Jak. WE will be there for a month though from June 9th to July 10th. So, we'll have to get together and plaaaay!

Leanna said...

I'm glad that I have actually witnessed storey saying that. it was hilarious.

Sabrina said...

That conversation with Storey...happens daily at our house too. Some days are better than others and I too wonder how much trouble I will be in 10 years from now.

KatieB said...

quote board: Canning is so romantic.

Shenna said...

We're going on a date to the cannery on Friday. It IS so romantic!! :)

Lizzie said...

My mom teaches Special Ed in California, so every year before Lexie's IEP meeting she and I have a little "IEP Pep Talk" over the phone. One of the biggest thigns that she reminds me of is that no IEP is set in stone. If at anytime during the school year you start to feel that any of the decisions made during the original IEP are not working out, you have a right to call another meeting and make changes. Knowing this always makes it less stressful for me when having to basically try and guess what Lexie will need in the future. I say make your best guess about what will be best for Jak and then see how if goes, knowing that you'll probably have to make some adjustments in the future. Aiming to know just exactly how he'll respond to every new situation seems like an impossible goal for any kid, on the spectrum or not.

Related Posts with Thumbnails