Thursday, April 21, 2011

Revival

Did you know that you can regrow green onions? Me neither. But apparently, you can. Even when it is still snowing outside.

Proof: I used the green part of the green onion in a recipe last week, stuck the bottoms (white part with the roots) in a jar filled about halfway with water, and stuck it in the windowsill. A week later, they look like this.
DSC_2849
Amazing! And no maintenance besides changing the water every so often. I will never buy green onions again-I can grow them in my kitchen!

3 comments:

Cami said...

This is awesome! I buy and use green onions all the time, though I like to use the white part too so I'd have to buy new sometimes even if I regrew them. I wonder if it works when they're going bad... like cut off the stems and grow the white part out again. Interesting!

Jenny said...

Cool! That's what we do in our garden. We just cut off the tops and they keep growing. Same with lettuce and cilantro. A yummy reproducing salad! :)

Em said...

I think this is quite amazing and I can't wait to try it out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails