Friday, April 08, 2011

Party People

Well folks, we have survived a birthday party. And I will just state for the record that Jakson is not a birthday party person. I mean, at.all. Fast forward 1 hour and 15 minutes in and he's done and melting down. Good thing the party was over 15 minutes later.

Besides that the only issue was that I specifically asked for no presents on the invitation (in order to avoid the meltdown that seems to follow a session of opening said gifts). Well, apparently, parents read directions about as well as 6th graders. Meaning: not at all. And it was a little awkward when the two parents who DID comply with my written instructions showed up in the middle of Jak opening the well-intentioned, but overwhelming presents. Not real sure what Ms. Manners would have suggested on that one. Notwithstanding the small hiccups, the party overall was a success. Kids came despite the lack of RSVPs (man, I was nervous about that!) and Jakson jumped to his hearts content (the party was held in warehouse full of bounce houses). It was a sensory needy kid's dream celebration. And he loved having so many of his friends to play with.
A few of the details (there weren't too many, this was a low key event)....

Behold! A cake that was not a total disaster! Facebook came to the rescue after Jak insisted on having a Hot Wheels cake. I am terrible terrible terrible at decorating cakes, so asked for advice from Facebook friends and I got some amazingly creative ideas. My friend Covey even sent step by step instructions for making marshmallow fondant, which is totally awesome, but I think slightly out of my non-cake making league. The best part was that most of my messy frosting job was covered up by candy and Oreo road.

I made the invite using Picnik. So easy and totally free.It's kind of random (like the lone dinosaur??? what is that?), but I was trying to integrate some of Jak's favorite things. Green and dinosaurs. He was very pleased.

7 comments:

Jeff, Christa, and Evelyn said...

Happy Birthday Jakson! Did you guys really move that long ago?

hillari said...

I can understand the parents who brought gifts anyway, I always wonder if I'm really not supposed to send a gift, or if we should send one anyway. I usually interpret it to mean that they're not required, but optional, and the parents just don't want you to feel obligated. And I always wonder if the kid is going to feel bad..
Anyway, enough about that. Looks like an awesome party! Glad everybody had fun. I knew people were going to show up anyway!

Megan said...

Sooooo fun!!! I am glad so many people came and it looked like it was a success!!

KatieB said...

the cake looks awesome! you did a great job. i meant to warn you that people would bring presents anyway. they just do. next time be specific about why and you might have more success, otherwise people feel weird going to a birthday party without giving a gift. glad you survived!

Lisa said...

FUN!!

I am worried about the lack of RSVPs for Gavin's birthday party on Thursday. DO people just not understand?

Amanda said...

Girl, you did awesome on the cake! Happy birthday, Jak!

Immeasurably More Mama said...

It looks like a FUN celebration! Happy Birthday Jakson!

Related Posts with Thumbnails