Monday, April 11, 2011

Make it do

Since moving to Utah, we've suffered from the lack of Goodwill Saturdays. In Phoenix, every other Saturday was 1/2 off everything in the store. And I'm so cheap that I don't even shop full price at a thrift store (I'm not willing to pay more than $1.50 MAYBE $2 for an article of clothing for a child. They just go and ruin it the first time its worn. The only exception I'll make is with jeans and shoes. Never more than $5). As a result, while I used to collect clothes one year out, I haven't been able to for a long time.

While going through Storey's clothes a couple of weeks ago, I realized that not only do I not have clothes for a year from now, I didn't even have a summer wardrobe for her. Everywhere I looked there were long sleeved shirts, sweaters, pants, coats...appropriate for our current April weather, but hopefully not too much longer.

So I set out to create a wardrobe from clothing she already has-"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." I grabbed a bunch of too-short pants and chopped them off, making shorts and capris. Then I collected all of the outgrown onesies (without stains) and created a bunch of play dresses (onesies fit a lot longer if you don't take into account the length-when you cut them off to make dresses, the length of the onesie is insignificant). I absolutely love the way they turned out. I have a few more left to make, but her summer wardrobe has quadrupled in size. Here are just three of the dresses I finished (in one weekend-they are quick projects).

Dress supplies: a long sleeve 12 month onesie and strips of three old t-shirts. I cut off the onesie sleeves to make them short and used a little elastic thread for a gathered edge (no need to hem, jersey doesn't fray).

Dress supplies: 12 month onesie and a jersey bedsheet used for the skirt. The main purpose for these dresses was comfort. I want one in my size.

Dress supplies: long sleeve onesie (with sleeves cut off and gathered with elastic thread), vintage bed sheet, eyelet lace I had laying around

Inspiration from here, here, and here. The best part? They were free! And y'all know I love free.

7 comments:

Camille said...

I bet you save a TON of money by knowing how to sew. If you taught a class on sewing I would totally go to it (and pay for it). You should think about it - you are so talented, it would be awesome.

Megan said...

WOW!!! I just stumbled upon your blog and I am so impressed with this project! I don't sew, but I sure wish I did. CUTE dresses!

Jeff, Christa, and Evelyn said...

Very impressive! You're welcome to come and change up Evie's wardrobe any time you want. I didn't realize you'd moved back to Utah, nice to know you're close.

Sabrina said...

Awesome! So impressed. Cute Cute Cute!

Lori said...

Those are REALLY adorable!!

sewdelightful said...

You are amazing Beth!

Christina said...

Very cute, very thrifty!

Related Posts with Thumbnails