Sunday, March 13, 2011

Disney Recap

The truth: I haven't posted about Disneyland because I've had a hard time not dwelling on the negative. Jakson's meltdowns tend to be extremely emotional and overwhelming for me and, despite being very prepared, we dealt with more of them than I was hoping. It was really a very successful trip-the kids talk about it constantly-but it wasn't the perfection I imagined in my head. I realize that I need to quit imagining perfection and be pleased with the reality. Definitely a lesson I'll continue to learn over and over.

That said, we went on all of the rides we wanted to-some 4 or 5 times, suffered through no lines longer than 5 minutes, and met every character the kids were excited about except for Pooh Bear. That darn illusive Pooh Bear. Jakson even discovered that there is actually a "dinosaur ride" as the train that runs around Disneyland goes through a portion of tunnel that features the extinct creatures. The kid was in heaven.

Although my camera completely stopped working during the character breakfast, (and hasn't resurrected since. There goes another $200 to get it fixed. *headdesk*) we were able to get quite a few photos on the first two days. Most of these pictures don't need much of an introduction...



Notice that only one adult agreed to go on the Tea Cups.These guys look awesome in their 3D glasses. Storey insisted on wearing hers upside down.Jakson showing Woody his Woody shirt. Love the reaction. So cute.
Ready to ride Toy Story Mania. A fan favorite.
The lines looked like this literally almost the whole time we were in the parks. Just walk up to the front.

Don't get me wrong. I AM grateful that our family was able to go. Trips like this with Jakson will continue to be a learning experience, the important part is that we take our new knowledge and make changes for next time. Like never go on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride again. What a bust that one was.

6 comments:

Lori said...

I can't believe how short your lines were!! Disney World was PACKED - I don't think there is a down time there. The kids looked SUPER CUTE in every picture! My camera stopped working on day two as well and hasn't started back. I had to steal pics from my friend. I'm so sorry that Jakson had some tough times. You just never know - I was expecting those meltdowns but the only ones we had were getting off rides. It was like Jack thrived in that environment but it's the sensory stuff - the way those rides throw his body around does something positive for him and the more he rides, the better he copes with everything. Things that would have him trembling at home, he didn't bat an eye at there. It was really incredible and now, I was to move there. Those five days were like having a child without a diagnosis - seriously, we are already saving for another trip at the end of the year!! These kids are just so interesting!! Loved the recap!

Veronica said...

Ugh, I know what you mean about not feeling motivated to post about stuff when there was so much negative that happened. We don't have a little one with autism, but sure have four that can make a trip feel like hell at times!! I LOVE your idea about the emergency tags. Why didn't I ever think about that when we are in a busy public place? Such a great idea!

Lisa said...

SO fun!

KatieB said...

i hear you about some of that letdown. i spent so much time planning our trip to disney world that it was really disappointing to find parts not living up to the vision i had in my head. on the third day we actually entered a park and avery wasn't crying and i felt we had reached success. half the time i wanted to scream at them "don't you know how much this costs! don't you know how much fun you're going to have! stop crying and whining and enjoy yourself! stop asking to go back to the hotel!" i'm hoping to get to my blog post tomorrow. we'll see...

David and Jackie said...

I wanted to thank you for all of the Disney Tips. We used many of them and it was very helpful. We were not as luck as you with Priceline or with crowds. Turns out the only week we had avaiable to go was the same week a huge convention was in town. Our daughter gets a guest assistance pass so we were able to mave a little faster through lines but still waited an average of about 20 minutes per line. Not bad. We expected to have the most trouble from out youngest who has disablities but ended up having the most trouble with our oldest (of 4), a perfectly healthy tween girl. Ughh! The mood swings were exhausting! The park was so crowded I think we were all on edge. We like to do disney once a year but I think next year we will try something else or pull the kids out of school in Feb. Overall we did have a good trip. The schools in our area are on break so we saw a lot of friends there which was fun for my older kids.

I love reading your blog. Hugs,
jackie

Alison Uuereb said...

I'm heading down to Disneyland next week just me and my 2 year old. I'm still a little nervous about the trip but we did 6 Flags last month and she had a blast! She is extremely shy but seemed to come out of her shell when meeting the characters. I guess to her they are like giant stuffed animals. Thanks for the information on making the mouse ear clips. I just finished making them and she begged to have them on. Turned out super cute!

Related Posts with Thumbnails