Wednesday, January 26, 2011

We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming...

...to bring you this special report:

ZAK'S Top Ten Reads of 2010

10. Harry Potter Series (JK Rowling) - Always a book of choice if you have the last name Vermillion. I reread the entire series to prepare for the 7th movie. I may have to do the same thing before the last movie comes out this summer.

9. Dune (Frank Herbert) - A classic sci-fi novel that I finally got around to reading.

8. Percy Jackson Series (Rick Riordan) - I read the final book this year where Percy faces off with the Kronos. It was entertaining, and a great book for teenage boys (or immature men like myself).

7. No Country for Old Men (Cormac McCarthy) - I don't recommend this book for everyone, a little graphic and some language throughout, but it was a great dark novel.

6. Hunger Games Series (Suzanne Collins) - I would have put this higher on my list, but I was just let down with how things came together at the end.

5. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Seth Grahame-Smith) - Maybe not the greatest of books, and a little predictable to see the vampire-slavery tie in, but it got me excited to read some historical non-fiction books about Honest Abe this year. And any time you can take one of the greatest people in American history and successfully make him a vampire hunter, I only wish he was around now to take care of Edward and Bella!


4. Freakonomics & Blink (Steven Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner/Malcolm Gladwell) - It's a tie. Both books are good at looking at things from a different perspective that gets one thinking. Every once in a while I need a good think!

3. A Prisoner of Birth (Jeffrey Archer) - A great modern take on The Count of Monte Cristo. I have never been disappointed in a Jeffrey Archer book yet. Of course I don't read as much as OTHER people, so I have plenty of time to feel disappointment.

2. Anything But Typical (Nora Raleigh Baskin) - A possible look into what the future of our dear boy may hold? It was great to look at the world through the eyes of a child with autism. This would have been my top book of the year if not for...

1. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (Seth Grahame-Smith) - At first I was skeptical about reading this. Not because it was Jane Austen (I'm not a crazy Austenian like Beth), but because of the whole zombie thing. I am not that big into the whole zombie/vampire craze. This book had me laughing out loud as coworkers gave me the stink eye for disturbing their peaceful day.

...And now back to your regularly schedule program

8 comments:

Clyde J Criddle said...

Zak - it's good to get the male perspective. Thanks for the recommendations.

Megan said...

Haha. The stink eye! Suprising that HP did not make it higher up on your list, but I guess it can't be #1 every year. I have really wanted to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies but have been kinda skeptical myself. So far though, I have heard that it is actually pretty enjoyable, so I think it is going on my to-read list. Also, I totally agree with you on the Hunger Games series. I LOVED them all the way until the quick way everything ended.

hillari said...

I've always meant to read Dune, I'll have to give it a go. And I totally had a good laugh at the Abe Lincoln review, as I also think that would pretty great if he could step in and take care of Edward and Bella. Hunger Games was completely awesome until the final book. Just a disapointment.

j&krosser said...

I think you and Jaden should start up a man's online bookclub. (well, maybe after this semester)

Em said...

I wasn't thrilled with the last book of the hunger games either. it was a serious let down for me, i love the other 2 though.

Harry Potter is definitely my #1 anytime favorite set of books. I don't even know how many times I have read that series.

But why didn't you have the twilight series on there? I was sure that would at least be #2 or #3......

Cami said...

I've never heard of A Prisoner of Birth but I think I'll go look it up. And I love that you and Beth both put Pride & Prejudice & Zombies on your top 10 list of 2010. I never even gave it a second glance but now I might try it out.

j&krosser said...

Yes Zak our book club will have to be after this semester. Right now my books are public health nursing a must for a BSN in Nursing but it is kind of long and disappointing at the end. The other book is Leading and Managing a Nurse not a recommended reading for anyone. And the last book on my list is Mansfield Park by Austen. Not to bad of a book I am not sure about the cousins marrying each other thing but a good read to look into a rebellious youth of the age.

I think we may have to turn Lincoln into a Zombie so he can hunt Edward and Bella.

Jaden

Shenna said...

Thanks for the list! I've been looking for more books to read!

Related Posts with Thumbnails