Thursday, January 06, 2011

Some 2011 Goals

Zak and I sat down a couple of nights ago and wrote out a few goals/things that we'd like to accomplish this year. Top of the list is, of course, move to a state where insurance will pay for more of Jakson's therapy, but at this point we are doing all we can and leaving the rest up to the Lord.


I really love to write out goals and steps to reaching them. I think the more often you write things down, the more often they actually happen. Especially when you leave the list in a prominent place in your home.

I won't list them all out here, but a few of our 2011 goals:
  1. Take more pictures of the kids. I started out last year with a Photo a Day blog, but have really slacked off. I don't necessarily want to do that again (it's harder than it sounds!), but I would like to take more photos of daily family fun. Especially since I got a fabulous new lens for Christmas!
  2. Learn how to use Walgreens, Riteaid, and CVS coupon deals. Due to lack of time, I've never really learned how to fully utilize these stores' sales, but this is the year. I'm going to go coupon crazy.
  3. Put together a working 72 hour kit. We have a 72 hour kit, it's just spread out all over the house. If we ever really needed it, we'd have a hard time gathering everything up in time to actually utilize it.
  4. Bake a treat only once a week. This is by far my least favorite goal, but a necessary evil. I love to bake.
  5. Once a month date with the kids. We haven't hammered all the details out on this one, but the idea is that Zak takes Storey and I take Jakson out once a month for some one on one time. We think this is especially important for Storey because I feel like she is starting to notice the extra attention Jak inevitably gets due to his special needs.
  6. Pay for all food with cash. We've always had a written budget that changes according to the pay period and our current bills, but we have noticed that what is budgeted and what was really spent on food tends to differ a little. Darn Chick-Fil-A. Cash will eliminate this problem.
  7. Take a creative writing class or novel writing class-this is for me. Something I've been wanting to do for awhile. If anyone has any great class suggestions, I'd love them.
  8. Add tips and tricks posts to the Beth V Photography blog. I've actually already started this!! See my first photo basic post here.
  9. Plan another trip to Disneyland. The kids are working on earning a trip by doing chores and such, so we just need to finish saving up and plan a date. I can't wait.
  10. Make Zak's quilt. Well, I guess that should say, Zak needs to make his quilt. It may take him an entire year, especially at this rate. He expressed an interest in making a quilt last spring, so he got fabric for it (wrapped in a Victoria's Secret bag...best joke ever) for his birthday, but life got crazy. Real men sew. Remember that.
  11. Do something kind and unexpected at least once a month.

4 comments:

Lori said...

We are trying to head to DisneyWorld this year too:)

What is a 72 hour kit?

bethany said...

Okay, so a 72 hour kit is basically an emergency kit (recommended by the Red Cross) that will get you and your family through the first 72 hours of a disaster. Not that I'm planning on a disaster happening, but it's better to be ready, right? Anyway, you are supposed to keep it all together in a backpack (like a hiking backpack, not a regular one) somewhere so that you can grab and go if needs be. I found this link that has a pretty good overview of what it is: http://www.workitmom.com/checklists/detail/4237
Having it all together in my house would just make me feel so much better should something happen-like an earthquake (where we live is rather close to a fault line) or whatever else.

Sabrina said...

Great goals! I have had the 72 hour kit in the back of my mind too, just never got around to it. Also, you NEED to email me your "disney on the cheap" list. I really want to take the kids but feel like we will never be able to afford it...

sewdelightful said...

I love getting the deals at CVS and Walgreens! It took me awhile to get into that too, but it is great!
I wish we were going to Disneyland too, but maybe next year! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails