Saturday, December 04, 2010

Anti-American Rhetoric

Every year the kids' preschool assigns each class items to bring that will be used as stocking stuffers for the troops. The teachers then put together 15-20 stockings full of chapstick, candy, toothbrushes, and other essential items to mail overseas to the soldiers.

Jakson was assigned to bring candy. Knowing that he wouldn't understand the concept of taking candy to school and not eating it, I tried to explain: "The candy is for the soldiers who help us and are sad to be away from their families this Christmas."

My explanation did not go over well. Jak is just so literal that anyone who has a gun and shoots people, even if it is to protect the rest of us, must be a bad guy. He started yelling, "Soldiers are bad!" and "I hate soldiers" over and over.

Oh, and did I mention that we were in a store shopping at this point? As he was spewing his anti-American opinions? Talk about embarrassing.

It only got worse when I tried to clarify that the soldiers were far away and we were mailing the stockings to thank them for helping us. He launched into a 30 minute meltdown because he somehow translated "mailing the stockings" into "Miss Michelle (his teacher) is leaving for an undetermined amount of time to personally take the stockings to the soldiers far away".

I just can't win.

Today, the cashier at the grocery store told me that I must have all kinds of time on my hands because I don't work full time. That's right-I sit on the couch, eat bon bons and watch Oprah all day. Self control was exercised when I bit my tongue.

Shaky fist to you lady.

7 comments:

Cerise said...

Oh my goodness! I would have been horrified. I would have tried explaining it the same way though.
That cashier lady obviously doesn't have children.

*katie said...

Oooo, shaky fist is right!!! Grr, that makes me so frustrated when people say and assume that. Sorry about the Jakson meltdown:(

Veronica said...

The cashier seriously said that to you??? {GASP}

The Frosts said...

yeah when carson was in 2nd grade obama had just gotten elected and the teacher asked each kid to share one thing about the new president. carson told the whole class he hated obama, i had to call the teacher and explain, good times :)

Lisa said...

Double shaky fist! Arrrgh!

Immeasurably More Mama said...

Bless your heart. Kids are humbling to say the least.

Gina said...

You don't eat bon bons all day? I totally do. :) Ha ha!
Meltdowns are really hard to deal with in public. I'm sure you were awesome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails