Tuesday, October 26, 2010

QUILT ALONG FINAL WEEK: FINALLY!

I've been so busy with Halloween costumes, trying to meet deadlines for scholarships we are applying for to pay for Jak's therapy, and just the everyday mom stuff, that this quilt-along has been put on the back burner.

But let's get it finished up so that we can start worrying about Christmas presents. Oh man, that's right around the corner.

Last (final!) step-Binding the quilt:

There are a couple of different ways to bind a quilt. One of the ways is to go out and buy a couple packages of pre-made solid colored quilt binding from the store (Walmart sells it, Joann's, Hobby Lobby) and machine sew it on to the quilt to cover up the edges. This works great and will definitely save some time. My friend Melissa, who has been following along, used this method and her quilts turned out so cute.

Image from here.

Another way is to make your own binding. I'm a make-it-yourself kind of gal because I like the binding in a coordinating fabric (or the same fabric) to the backing. And, rather than reinvent the wheel, I'm going to link to a tutorial from someone who knows a lot more about quilt binding than I do. In fact, it's how I learned. Her method takes a little hand sewing (perfect for catching up on Project Runway, or The Real Housewives-don't lie, you love it) but the end result is worth every hand stitch.

Heather Bailey Quilt Binding


Once you've finished binding, your quilt is completely done!! Stand back, admire your work, and know that you've created a memory quilt that will be cherished for a very long time.Now, go sell all the other outgrown clothes on Ebay.

Please let me know if you have any questions about any of the steps in the quilt along and I'd LOVE to see your finished quilts-send me pictures!!

5 comments:

Megan said...

This has nothing to do with quilts but i LOVE that picture of Storey!!!

Clyde J Criddle said...

Great pic of Storey!

Leanna said...

storey is so cute

Terri said...

I'm finally starting my quilt! Just blogged about it, and I'll definitely put your button on my blog!

http://monkeybeanmomma.blogspot.com/2011/02/back-in-groove.html

Kells926 said...

Where did you get that amazing rainbow striped pattern for your bias tape?!

Related Posts with Thumbnails