Saturday, September 25, 2010

Me, Domestic Goddess

Now that I'm going to have a little more time on my hands (ha.ha.ha.) because I won't be spending all of my naptimes sewing, I've been making a list of other goals I want to accomplish. Top of that list? Canning. Learning to can would be so resourceful of me. On CSN (remember that site I told you about that sells everything from console tables to Halloween costumes?) I found a great canner set and have been bookmarking recipes/tutorials. So far, I plan on canning salsa and peaches.

Any advice for a canning novice would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be sure to keep you posted on my progress (or my complete failure).

5 comments:

FamilyKolbaba said...

I'm excited to hear about it! That is the next thing on my list, too, I'm asking for canning supplies for Christmas :)

Covey and Justin said...

-start with acidic foods that don't need a pressure canner that will let you get your feet wet
-the best book is the Ball Blue Book of canning--it is simply awesome
-If you can find it use a steam canner instead of a water bath canner (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=steam+canners&sqi=2&cid=5522735510388673883&ei=WrOeTMGpJofSxQWL28WpBw&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p) is the one I use and I love it. Steam canners are much easier than water bath canners because they don't involve bringing gallons of water to a boil.
-Make sure you use home canned stuff within a year.
-Get the freshest stuff you can--pick early morning or get at farmer's market as early as possible to get the best flavor.
-Don't discount freezing as a storage technique, especially for low acid foods. You can precut the product to fit the recipes you use it for and boil it the freeze it to use later
-canning rocks and is very fun! We do grape juice and that is the kids favorite.

sewdelightful said...

I have been totally wanting to can too! I have gotten some books at the library and am reading those before I start. Let me know how it goes! :)

Camille said...

Why do you have to show us all up and be such an overachiever??? You know what I do during naptime? I nap too! (Ok fine, learning to can is probably a good idea. When you figure it out you should write up a tutorial or something - then I can do it too - without all that effort of 'learning' and 'work' and stuff)

bethany said...

That "learning" crap is do dang overrated.

Related Posts with Thumbnails