Sunday, August 22, 2010

ANYONE IN? BABY CLOTHES QUILT-ALONG

I used to have boxes of baby clothes for Jak that I was holding on to merely for sentimental reasons. They didn't serve a purpose and were taking up room on a closet shelf. Right before Storey was born, I put together a quilt out of the clothing that reminded me the most of him. The outfit he came home in, the first pajama pants I ever made him, a shirt his Grandma gave him, things that I really treasured. Now I have a blanket that takes up a lot less room than those boxes (and is a lot cuter)!!For the past two years, I've been collecting special clothes in a bin for Storey's quilt and I'm ready to get started with the project.

Want to make one too?
During the next five weeks, I'll be posting instructions each Monday with that week's "assignment". I've broken up the steps into manageable portions so that despite a busy schedule, you'll be able to get each part done. This way as well you can ask questions and post comments as you work.The weeks will be broken up into the following sections:
Week 1: Collecting clothes (week 1 instructions will be posted tomorrow afternoon along with the supplies needed for Week 2)
Week 2: Cutting and ironing
Week 3: Sewing the quilt top
Week 4: Putting the quilt layers together
Week 5: Binding the quilt

Even if you are a beginning seamstress, this is a great project to start with. You don't need to know anything technical about sewing and I'll provide detailed instructions and pictures to help along the way. Not only that, but your friends will be so impressed with your finished product!!
Anyone interested in quilting along with me? If you are, please leave a comment. Thanks! Can't wait to get started!

I will be updating this post will all of the quilt along posts, but you can also click on the "quilt along" tag at the bottom of this post to see all related posts.

WEEK ONE LINK-Collecting Clothes
WEEK TWO LINK-Cutting and Ironing Clothes

Spread the word by posting the Baby Clothes Quilt Along button!


29 comments:

Heidi said...

How beginner of a seamstress do you consider safe for this quest?? I have a sewing machine and I THINK I can use it! =) Do I need to have a rotary cutter or anything besides the basics? I really would love to do something like this but feel VERY intimidated!

bethany said...

This could be your first project EVER-it's that kind of project!! AND it will really help to increase your sewing confidence. Sewing is a skill, not a talent. Anyone can do it with a little practice!!

Melissa said...

I think I am in :)

Brittany said...

I've been working on saving up some outfits so I can do this .Maybe I'll have to go thru them to see if I have enough already!

Lori said...

I have the clothes but sewing a button on is the limit to my expertise... What if I just send YOU my clothes and some money?? :) This sounds like a VERY fun project, but not in my area of ability unfortunately - I LOVE the quilt though!

Shelby said...

This such a great idea! I have been looking at getting a quilt for my newborn but think this could be better!

greetingarts said...

My girls' closet is about to burst... and now that both are in school, maybe I can actually do this! I'm going to try...

joyfullyjulie said...

I'm in - very much the beginner too. I do have a rotary cutter, a machine and some saved baby clothes. Looking forward to this.

Kerry said...

I am so in. I am very excited. I wrote about this on my blog today but I could not get the button to work for the life of me. Is something wrong with it?

Tara @ Feels like home said...

I have a box full of Grace's baby clothes, too, destined for a baby clothes quilt. I think I'm going to join in your project!

I was planning on a slightly different design, but I think I can quilt along with the group anyway. Woot! Impetus to get done is always a good thing. :)

Barbara said...

What a sweet project. My babies' clothes left the seen nearly thirty years ago, but if I were at that stage, you can bet I'd be joining in. I hope to have grandchildren one day (maybe not too far off). I'll keep this in mind for then.

Shawna said...

I actually had kept a bag of my daughter's newborn clothes for this very reason, but had not went any further than that with the idea. Thanks so much, I will definitely be following and hopefully will have a quilt in the end!

Kari said...

I have been saving my kids' baby clothes to make a quilt, but how do you bear to cut them up?

Oh Holland! said...

I am interested! I am in the middle of a million other projects, but I do have boxes of baby clothes, so this could very well be added to the list of projects!

dabv said...

I have been thinking of doing this for some time now. Having support and enthusiasm of everyone to do it sounds great!

Sarah said...

I'm in - I've made these before, but need new ideas! Looking forward to it

julie said...

I am in! A few weeks late, but still in.
I have been wanting to do this for a while - but never knew how to get started.
I look forward to the step by step instructions.
How big is the finished quilt?
Is it easy enough to make it bigger if desired?

Samual said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heather said...

I am just now seeing this! I totally want to do it! I've never sewn before in my life, but id love to learn! this is a great project to start with!

car rental costa rica said...

I have the clothes but sewing a button on is the limit to my expertise... What if I just send YOU my clothes and some money. thank you for sharing this info.

Sonica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Yashila said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
japri19 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Charlene said...

I'm never good at sewing but after reading your post and your ideas on what to do with my son's baby clothes, I want to learn. Is it too late to learn? Do you think I can do it?

JOHN said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chelsey Thomas said...

My bg is only 2 months but I can't wait to do this! How big a quilt does it make? I want it to be big enough for her to use as an adult... Should I increase my square size?

ROSE R said...

wow, I've seen some baby uniform...and the others are...appalling...and I think they say more about the insecure people who make them up than the babies. It's too bad we have to fall into stereotypes while they are wearing oneness!

Jhon Saka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Merle C. Jamison said...


Your writing style has been amazed me. Thank you, very nice post.
Buy Boot Cuff

Related Posts with Thumbnails