Thursday, July 08, 2010

Rejuvenation

It's amazing what a little time away can do for a mom. Even if it's only one night.

As previously mentioned, last Friday was our anniversary. To celebrate, we went to Salt Lake for the weekend. With no children. That meant, no fighting, no whining, no screams of "mine", no kids underfoot during dinner out (literally-Jakson sits under the table every time we go out to eat. EVERY.TIME.). We didn't have to watch Toy Story, we actually had cable (lamely, I made Zak watch "Say Yes to the Dress" with me), and for dessert we ate cupcakes. With lots of frosting.

It was a little like heaven.
(Is it sad that my idea of heaven has diminished to such low standards? I mean, cable? Really?!? Heaven used to be spa treatments and hot guys. Darn kids.)

The best part was that Zak and I could talk uninterrupted about anything and everything. We reminisced, we planned for the future, we expressed worries, AND we didn't have to stop once to say "quit hitting your sister" or **"it's not your 'beep! beep!', it's everyone's." Bliss.

Don't get me wrong, I love my children. But sometimes.....

Saturday morning we got up early and drove around to some garage sales. Without children. It was a lot of fun. I am so grateful that I married a man who loves to hunt a bargain as much as I do. We found summer clothes for Storey and a few things for the house that we promptly spray painted (I love me some spray paint) and spent exactly $11!

Even though it was a really low-key anniversary, it was exactly what I needed.

**The most ridiculous fight my children have had thus far. We were in the car and the car in front of us honked. Because she is a parrot, Storey yelled "beep! beep!" Because Jakson is Jakson, he then yelled "beep! beep!" resulting in an argument consisting of each child screaming, "no! my beep! beep!" over and over and over until I informed both of them that "it is everyone's beep! beep." Seriously? What did I ever do to deserve this?

7 comments:

Camille said...

Hate to break it to you, but it is actually MY beep beep. ;)

Sabrina said...

Sounds wonderful to me! Sometimes I feel like a terrible mom because all I dream of is "time-off". You deserve it and glad you had a great time.

Melissa said...

The fighting makes me go so insane. It pushes me over the limit. Although it is nice to hear that yours fight over ridiculous things just like mine do.
I think a short time away from your kids is neccessary to stay sane! Glad you guys had fun together. Happy Anniversary!

Shenna said...

That fighting story made me laugh...really hard.

bethany said...

Camille-I appreciate you clearing that up. I'll definitely let the kids know.

Then I'll drop them off in front of your house so that you can all fight about it.

Kerry said...

Happy Belated Anniversary! Also, the beep beep story made me laugh out loud. I'm sorry that you have to deal with it, but it is funny!

j&krosser said...

Beth, You posted that heaven used to be hot guys and the spa. I know there was no spa on your weekend trip but I must stick up for Zak and say there was a hot guy present. Just becuase it has been six years....Haha. Glad you had a great weekend. ---Jaden

Related Posts with Thumbnails