Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Before and After

Our sixth anniversary is quickly approaching, not only marking six years of marriage, but also six years of storing this chair, half naked in various attics/basements/garages, picked up during our first year of marriage from a thrift shop with the plan to recover.The chair started out completely covered in circa 1972 bright blue faux velvet fabric.
To be honest, sometimes I was a little afraid to sit on it, which is why it earned a place in storage. I never could bring myself to get rid of it though because it had potential.

I pulled it out when I was getting rid of stuff last month to make a final decision--to keep or not to keep. That same day during a trip to Joanns, I came across some amazing home decor fabric on the clearance table--the decision was made. Fate maybe?

Fortunately, we had kept the original cover pieces and used those as a template.Then it was just a lot of folding and stapling (Zak did most of this, I took the pictures)The whole thing only took a couple of hours to finish.
Making us think-why did we not do this years ago?!?

Before:After:
Disclaimer: We're not keep our beautiful chair outside, but the lighting in our house at 7PM is terrible and I needed decent pictures so you could see its amazingness.


16 comments:

Brittany said...

LOVE this! I need to reupholster our kitchen chairs and I can't bring myself to even attempt it... maybe I'll gain some courage.

Sabrina said...

That is amazing. You did a great job and I love the fabric! "Fixing" a chair is on this months to-do list and I am nervous...thanks for the inspiration!

Pretty Little Nest said...

Awesome! I love how you skirted the bottom.

j&krosser said...

It looks amazing!!I've always wanted to recover something.

Melissa said...

Who would've guessed a chair that ugly could be that cute! Nice job, Bethy, you (and your husband) are just so talented.

Shenna said...

Ooh! I love it! Nice job!!!

Julie said...

LOVE IT! It's beautiful!!!

rawhide said...

that is awesome!!! wow, i think i need to be more crafty!!!

rawhide said...

that is awesome!!! wow, i think i need to be more crafty!!!

Anne said...

Wow, good job!

*katie said...

Oh my goodness, so cute!!
p.s. did my paypal go through? It was acting up on me...

[AnnieR] said...

What Lissa said!

sewdelightful said...

Very nice!! Love the fabric!

Melissa said...

That fabric is so adorable! Great job.

bethany said...

If you're thinking about tackling a project like this-do it! It was so easy (especially since Zak really did most of the work! :))

Erin said...

it looks amazing! LOVE the fabric...can't believe yall found it on the sale rack too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails