Sunday, May 23, 2010

Fantastic Freezer Meals

Our ward (congregation) takes in dozens of meals every month to women who have recently had babies. Sometimes it gets a little overwhelming for those who are in charge of getting volunteers (I know, I used to be one of them), especially when meals are needed at the last minute. So I organized a service project for the ladies in our congregation's Relief Society making freezer meals that can be taken to moms with new babies.

We spent $85 on the food and were able to make 14 meals!! The ladies were sent to 6 different homes so that there would be plenty of room for everyone to cook although, looking back, I think we could have accomplished the same thing at just 3 houses. Each house had a recipe to follow and ingredients to use. They doubled the recipes and prepared the meals for the freezer by packing them into freezer bags or disposable pans. And now we have quite a few ready to be delivered in the next couple of months.

My favorite way to make freezer meals is to double the recipe, eat one for dinner right away and stick the other in the freezer. It feels like no extra work and you've got something ready to eat on a night you don't feel like cooking (which for me is basically every night).

I'm actually teaching a class this week on freezer meals-kind of a tricks and tips thing. If anyone is interested, I'll try to post a summary of that as well as some links to easy freezer meals afterwards.

I made a PDF of the three recipes that we used if anyone is interested in trying them! Click on the link below to view the PDF and download to print(if you want).

Freezer Meals

4 comments:

Mique (as in Mickey) said...

You, my dear, are a genius! LOVE this. As RS Meeting Counselor (Enrichment counselor) I think this is a brilliant idea. Meeting in the morning. Will talk to them about it. Did you catch my freezer meal post?
Can't wait to see your summary!

Bridget said...

I love the idea of freezer meals but I've never gotten the hang of it. I forget to thaw them in time and end up never using them. I'd love to see your tips.

Melissa said...

What a fabulous idea for an activity! You always amaze me Beth. I am definately going to try out the freezer meals. (spaghetti bake ? have you tasted that before?) Sounds delicious.

Spjut Family said...

Hey, Beth, is there any way I could come to the class. I would love to see you and I was just thinking about learning how to do this. I live in SL, but aren't you just in Lehi? Let me know.

Related Posts with Thumbnails