Monday, March 01, 2010

DIY-DISNEYLAND SHIRTS: TUTORIAL

We are leaving for Disneyland tomorrow and I'm not feeling too stressed out yet (amazingly!).
I took a break from packing this afternoon to spend some of my precious alone time making the kids Disneyland shirts.
It's not even 45 minutes into naptime and I've had time to eat AND finish two appliqued Mickey shirts.
They are that easy!

Supplies:
  • Heat 'n Bond Lite (you can also use Pellon brand, but I hate, HATE Pellon. In my opinion, it is not easy to work with). Heat 'n Bond comes on a bolt (usually around the cutting counter at a place like Joann's) or in a package (at Walmart on the aisle with the elastic).
  • Scraps of fabric
  • Pre-washed shirt or onesie
  • The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake template (because I'm too lazy and unartistic to draw my own mouse ears) only print pages 3-4.
Directions:
  1. Print out the Mickey Mouse template from the link above. Print it at 100% if you are using a onesie and at 110% for a shirt that is 2T+ (I like the image to fill up more of the shirt)
  2. Cut the Mickey Mouse head off of the rest of the clubhouse. There won't be a line to follow along the "neck", but just follow the general circle shape.
  3. Pin the head template to the Heat 'n Bond and cut out.
  4. Iron the Heat 'n Bond shape to the back of your fabric-do not use steam!!
  5. Cut out the shape from the fabric-it should be two layers, the fabric and the Heat 'n Bond.
  6. Peel off the paper backing, position the shape on your shirt, and iron to your shirt (again, do not use steam). It is not repositionable, so be careful where you are ironing.
  7. Using a zig zag stitch, stitch the mouse ears to your shirt by sewing all the way around your shape, keeping the stitches on the fabric that you ironed on, rather than the t-shirt. Be careful that you do not catch the back of the t-shirt when you are sewing.
  8. Other embellishments: I tied a (terrible) bow and hand sewed it to make Storey's mouse ears look a little more Minnie, and appliqued Jakson's with his initial in the Waltograph font (I used 250 pt. size--to applique the letter, follow the steps above).
    My kids are now ready to tour Disneyland in style!

15 comments:

Melissa said...

LOVE IT! I may be coping you on this for when we go. And I have now read the Disneyland guide all the way thru. I am so glad I read it!

rawhide said...

i went and made my quilt today at the lutherian church so that i can get my free ticket to disney.....too bad i went by myself so now whoever i go with will have to pay......have so much fun...cute shirts.

Megan said...

Oh my gosh.... I am so excited to see you guys!!!! Woohoo. The kids are going to have a blast at Disneyland, I wish I could go with you.

Julie said...

Adorable! Are you for hire? We're going to D-land later this year.

Bridget said...

They are going to be the cutest kids there, with or without the shirts. The shirts are pretty stinking cute though. Have a great vacation!

bethany said...

Julie-am I ever not for hire? Not like that....you've been hanging out with Deborah WAY too long.

When are you guys going?

David and Jackie said...

Thanks for sharing. It's really cute! I can't wait to try it

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amanda said...

Adorable!!!

Lisa said...

LOVE these!

Shenna said...

Super cute! Hope you guys have a great time on your vacation!!!!

Julie said...

Beth! I didn't mean it that way! :-) We are going to try and go in October or November. Yea!

Tiffany said...

Super cute, I stumbled across your blog when I was searching for disney shirt ideas, I tried to access the link for the template but it isnt working. I have since tried a million different sites looking for something similar but nothing. Could you please email me it if possible.,
tleburr@gmail.com

Thanks!
Tiffany

bethany said...

the link is fixed!

Garron and Abby Combs said...

These shirts are so cute and will be perfect for our Disneyland trip coming up this month. When I click on the link it doesnt send me to the actual template. Do I need to search for it? Or do you have it that you could email me?

Thanks,
Abby
abby.combs@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails