Thursday, January 28, 2010

Mini-Loaves

Until recently, I have been afraid of making bread products. My bread always came out hard, my rolls dense, and all that kneading.....ugh.

Right after I had Storey, my friend Melissa brought over a delicious meal--complete with perfectly risen, non-golf ball-like rolls. When I raved about them, she gave me the recipe along with the assurance that I too would be able to make them successfully. And without any kneading!!

It took a few months to gain the courage, but I finally baked a batch of rolls and they turned out so great that I've made them over and over--and amazingly have never screwed them up!

Last month, I came across a Wilton 4 mini-loaf pan at Target on clearance, so I bought it, thinking that it would be fantastic for making neighbor gifts or Visiting Teaching treats. Using the same roll recipe, I finally got around to trying out my new loaf pan today.

I am in love.
Little loaves perfect for giving.Visiting Teaching Mini-Loaves

2 C. warm water
3/4 cup sugar
2 pkgs yeast
2 eggs
1/2 cup shortening, melted
1 scant of salt
5 1/2 cups flour

In a bowl (I do all of this in my Kitchenaid), dissolve warm water, sugar, and sprinkle yeast on top of water. In a separate bowl (I use a glass bowl and the microwave), melt shortening and cool in fridge. Add eggs to melted shortening and stir together. Add that to the yeast mixture. Then add 5 1/2 cups of floud and mix. This does not need to be kneaded (YAY!). It is supposed to be sticky.

Cover and let rise.

Once risen, punch down and add enough dough to each mini-loaf pan so that it fills about half way. You should have enough for 4 mini-loaves and one regular loaf. Or 8 mini-loaves. Let rise again until it doubles in size.

Cook the mini-loaves in the oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes (or until brown on top). The regular loaf takes 25-30 minutes (same temp.) to cook.

8 comments:

Tasha said...

This looks so good. I get very nervous starting new recipes too. Here is a question: Where do you find Yeast. I have never used it and would not even know where to look in the stores.

Lisa & Gerald said...

mmm sounds yummy and easy too..

Jon and Sarah said...

Those look so yummy! They remind me of the loaves of bread you can buy in the Cougareat and I bet they taste even better.

FamilyKolbaba said...

Ii'm going to need to know how long it takes to rise before you punch it down. Yes, my recipes need to be that specific.

bethany said...

That's exactly what I thought of Sarah, though I'm afraid these aren't quite as good.

And as for rising time, well I really have no idea. It just depends on the temp. in your house or whether you stick them in the oven at 200 degrees to move things a long a little. Since mine only filled about 1/2 of the mixing bowl, I waited until the dough had risen to the top of the bowl (maybe 1 hour?).

Melissa said...

You buy yeast in the baking section. This recipe needs rapid rise yeast. I like Fleischmann's and it look like a yellow envelope.

The best way I know how to tell if something has risen long enough is, look at your dough once you have mixed it, once it is at least twice as big, it has risen enough. Since you use quick rise yeast, you do not have to wait 5 hours :)

I am glad you mde these! I told you it as easy!!

Heather Clayton Coons said...

I'm making them right now! :) Thanks for the recipe. I'm excited...:)

Covey and Justin said...

We made them that night you posted--loved them! Made one big loaf and 4 mini's since we were snowed in with no bread. Delish! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails