Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Flip Side

When I was pregnant with Jakson I had a student in my class that was....well, to put it nicely....AWFUL.
No really, that's a nice way to put it.
Every day was a challenge with this boy.
And his mother.
She made excuses for his behavior,
blamed innocent victims for his behavior (ME),
and generally didn't accept that her son could possibly be in the wrong.
I vowed many times that I would never be THAT parent.

Fast forward three years.
Jakson is enrolled in pre-school.
The first day, his teacher says, "He doesn't listen well."
I know.
The second day, his teacher says, "He didn't follow directions today."
Yes, yes.
The third day, I pick him up and hear, "Jakson stood in time out instead of getting a snack today. He was rambunctious."
Can I get an AMEN?!?
Finally, I feel validated for the last three years.
And not at all in denial.
I'm going to hear the word "rambunctious" a lot in the next 12+ school years.
It's a nice teacher word for other more negative behavior.

The problem now: what to do?
He's been lectured with fingers wagging, punished, threatened...
Nothing seems to work.
I've finally found a problem that not even chocolate chip cookies can fix.

Ideas?

Photo at top taken by Elizabeth Jex. Contact information and more photos of my adorable children to come soon! If you live in the Vegas area-lucky you!

10 comments:

Maren said...

I wish I knew how to help! My sisters are both having the same kind of issues with their boys (4 and 5 years old). My nephew in kindergarten received his first note from the teacher saying that he doesn't pay attention or participate and that he's not applying himself - which is exactly the same thing *every* report card his father ever got said. My sister is thinking she has another ADD kid on her hands. My other sister's 4-year-old stomped on another kid and threw sand in his hair the first day of preschool - way to make a good impression, eh? The preschool put him on some kind of behavioral watch list where if he doesn't do the things he's supposed to, he won't be allowed to come back. She just told me she's reading a book about dealing with a strong-willed child and doing the 4-week program they say is proven to change your child. Maybe you could email that lady that came to Enrichment and talked about Love and Logic (Keri something? I have her email address at home) - she seemed to have pretty much all the answers. :) Good luck, and let us know if there's anything we can do to help...if cookies won't work anymore, maybe s'mores brownies will?

Mandi said...

LOVE the picture and can't wait to see more!

I have a feeling I will be posting something similar a few years down the road. It's a little early to tell how he will do in school but I think I have a "rambunctious" boy on my hands! :)

Amanda said...

No good advice, but I can sympathize.

Lisa said...

I would suggest focusing on one behavior at a time and trying positive reinforcement. It would be most beneficial if the teacher could focus on the same problem as you.

Stacy said...

I feel your pain for sure. I have one of those kids that will be in preschool next year. So if you figure it out let me know. I told my husband the other day that it was taking ever fiber of my being not to attack my screaming 4 year old. Sometimes kids really make you wonder what we were thinking. But then they are so cute sometimes, you know like when they are sleeping...

Jefferson said...

fabulous picture

Danielle said...

When you find an answer let me know. My Allie is the same way!

Spjut Family said...

Too funny.

I always make a point not to say, "my kid will never do that" because then of course they will. Poor Jackson, is just a normal little boy. All boys are like that for the most part. I think as long as they don't hurt anyone or themselves, they are okay. some of my best kindergarteners where the ones who crawled under the table the first week of school. He'll come around once he see's what it's all about.

By the way, love the hair cut.

Spjut Family said...

I meant "were" not "where" Me smrt.

Lyn Hunter said...

I would say the best thing to do is to make sure you have good communication with his teacher. Work with her on improving one thing at a time. He is just in pre-school. Little boys have a hard time sitting still and some just hate to be told what to do. Love and Logic is a good source but it can get a little over the top, if you ask me. Maybe everyday pre-school isn't for him. He doesn't have to go. Sometimes kids just need their moms and that is an okay thing too. Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor for school. Sometimes I think we make our kids grow up too fast. That is my two cents which you can take or leave.

Related Posts with Thumbnails