Monday, August 10, 2009

Where has the time gone?

We celebrated Storey's first birthday this weekend. I still feel like she's a newborn, so it's hard for me to grasp the concept that she's walking and saying some words already. Storey is such a blessing to our family. She's always so happy and curious. And starting to get along with her brother!

Storey Jannette Day One
Day 365 If you're really in a reminiscent mood, we sat around and watched this video for remembrance sake.

To celebrate, we had a small family party. It's nice to have quite a few family members close by, especially for special events like this.

Storey wore her semi-handmade birthday dress (actual dress off the clearance rack and I added a birthday embellishment from my fabric scraps). She looked adorable. Oh, and notice the long sleeves? We're currently experiencing Phoenix winter temperatures here in Utah.
I've had some traumatic cake decorating experiences in the past, so wanted to make a cake out of cupcakes instead. Who can mess up a cupcake, right? When I found this one at Coco Cake Cupcakes, I knew it was perfect for our bookworm family. Here's my version:To create the kinds of colors on the Very Hungry Caterpillar book cover, I put the buttercream frosting (recipe here-so good!!) in three different bowls. One bowl I dyed red. In the other two I added green food coloring. Then I added a little yellow to one and a little blue to the other. I frosted the cupcakes every other one or so. I thought it added a little dimension to my caterpillar. I realize that my cupcakes don't look nearly as professional as Coco's, but then, I'm no professional. And let's be honest, Storey could not have cared less.

As long as it tasted good.

At least the frosting did.

She got her first baby dolls, a little stroller and a purse. I'm getting better at this girl stuff!
Thanks to everyone who came to celebrate with us!!




10 comments:

Veronica said...

You know a BUNCH of people are going to be stealing that cake idea, including me. So cute!

deborah said...

loved the cake... happy birthday storey.

Leanna said...

storey looks like she stepped out of a horror movie with all that red frosting on her! lol

see you in less than 2 weeks!!!!!!!

Shenna said...

Great job on the cupcake cake! Happy birthday Storey!

Susie said...

I LOVE the picture of you and Storey! She looks so happy! You are adorable Beth!

Covey and Justin said...

The cake is so cute!! You should do your kids as Thing 1 and Thing 2 from the Cat in the Hat for Halloween, that would be cute!

edith said...

Happy belated bday to Storey!! What a fun day it must have been. LOVE the picture of you, Beth, and Storey together. What a beautiful family you have.

~Melissa~ said...

Totally sweet cake! Happy birthday to Storey. Time has flown by. It was nice to talk to you today.

Sabrina said...

Storey wore pink on her birthday! I love it! She looked precious- great job on the dress!

Mandi said...

I can't believe I somehow missed this post! All of the details for Storey's party are just perfect...the cake (LOVE the Very Hungry Caterpillar), the dress, and the cute birthday girl!

Related Posts with Thumbnails