Monday, August 31, 2009

Practice Dress

I have been extremely nervous about making myself a dress. There is a lot of potential for this to go very, very wrong.

The past few weeks I've been collecting possible pattern candidates. I picked up a bunch of vintage dress patterns at D.I (thrift shop) and a couple more (non-vintage) at Joanns, but really didn't want to make something too complicated. Then last week, my mom brought me some patterns from her stash. One of those (Simplicity 7770) was very similar to the 1968 dress that I posted about a couple of days ago. It's very simple. No zipper, no darts. Just elastic. I figured that I couldn't botch it too badly.

Not wanting to waste the expensive fabric I purchased for the real dress, I practiced on some fabric already in my stash. And with a few little changes to the pattern, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. On the final dress, I think I will take in the top a little more and make the skirt more A-line. Patterns apparently don't take into consideration that someone may have a ba-donka-donk butt and need just a little more room in the back.
My only worry now is that it might be too frumpy for a wedding or look too handmade. It's not a fancy wedding, but I don't want to look like I just rolled out of bed either.

First mylar balloon dilemmas and now this. The things I have to deal with.

6 comments:

Megan said...

I love it and it definitely won't look too frumpy at the wedding!! Can't wait to see you!

hillari said...

That looks adorable and I like the fabric too! I can't wait to see the wedding fabric. I am becoming addicted to searching out cool crafty things to sew--I have a pile of things I want to make now.

Sabrina said...

I love it and think it is super cute!

Veronica said...

What does the fabric look like for the wedding? I don't think it looks frumpy at all. Depending on the fabric used it could be an all ocassion dress. Yeah, I would totally need more of an a-line too!

Shenna said...

I think it turned out great! You are so talented!

mikbeth said...

Wow, what a super cute dress! I love the elasticized sleeves and neckline. Very fun! And modest! Hooray!

Related Posts with Thumbnails