Saturday, August 01, 2009

Not Better Together

We've finally come to terms with the idea that the two kids sharing one room is not going to work right now.

Storey's crib was in the bedroom with Jak's bed, but at nap time we had to move her to a pack 'n play in a different room. On top of that, Jakson's tendency to stay up until midnight because he doesn't like the new house was disturbing her sleep.

So, yesterday we relocated Storey's crib.

Now the rooms are His and Hers and I am faced with a new dilemma....decorating TWO kids' rooms without painting (because we're renting, so I'm trying to bring in color other ways).

Storey's room is easy. I know the color scheme, the furniture that's going in there and already have fabrics. And you're right-there will be no pink.

I'm so predictable.

Jakson's, on the other hand, is where I'm stumped. I don't really want a "themed" room. You know, cowboys or spaceships or whatever. Although the idea of a robot room did cross my mind (inspired by this awesome quilt). But Jakson's interests change so quickly that as sure as I decorate in soccer balls, he'll decide he loves firetrucks the best. I want to stay away from that whole dilemma.

I've scoured the internet looking for ideas, but haven't come up with much.

Here are a few of my ideas:
This bedding from IKEA because Jakson is (and has been for a long time) obsessed with numbers and lettersThere's a stripe fabric that matches that I was thinking might make great curtains

Maybe make something like these fabric letters to put around the room, pulling the blues and greens from the duvet.That's it, that's all I've got. I was trying to think of something for the walls. Maybe vinyl? Maybe not. I'm totally open to ideas here. If all else fails, we'll just put up wall bookshelves. Heaven knows we have plenty of books to fill them!


3 comments:

j&krosser said...

For wall decor my mom took cool fabrics she liked and framed them in different frames and different colors to make a collage of sorts without painting. You could use srap book paper as well. We have always liked your shelves you hung from the wall and put different books on it as well.--Jaden

Amanda said...

I love that duvet from Ikea. It's really fun.

SpartanGirl said...

I'm having the same issue decorating my son's first "big boy" room. My original idea was robots, but I wasn't willing to spend gobs of money on something he would outgrow in no time.

I'm thinking of doing a simple bright, striped comforter on the bed and changing the wall hangings to match his current likes. Framed fabric, posters, his own drawings, or maybe some pictures of his old room/friends, etc, would add some fun color to the room!

Have fun decorating. I hope a new, cozy room will help him settle in more.

Related Posts with Thumbnails