Thursday, August 13, 2009

Happy Belated S'mores Day

I do realize that the ever popular National S'mores Day was actually three days ago (Aug. 10th), but I had more pressing matters to blog about (like my daughter's birthday), so this post was postponed, but not forgotten-you can thank me later for that.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the S'more in its original form. Haven't quite pinpointed the reasons why, I just don't. But I recently discovered that I DO love S'mores in brownie form. And you will too-though your diet may not. This one is worth the calories. Recipe from my new friend Maren.
S'mores Brownies

BASE
1/2 cup butter
1 oz unsweetened chocolate, cut up
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 t. baking powder
1 t. vanilla
2 eggs

FILLING
6 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 T flour
1/2 t vanilla
1 egg
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups miniature marshmallows

FROSTING
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup milk
1 oz unsweetened chocoloate, cut up
2 oz cream cheese, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 t vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter and 1 oz unsweetened chocolate over low heat, stirring until smooth. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Stir in 1 cup flour and remaining base ingredients; mix well. Spread into greased and floured 9x13 pan.

In small bowl, combine the 6 oz cream cheese and all the remaining filling ingredients except chocolate chips and marshmallows. Beat 1 minute at medium speed until smooth and fluffy. Spread over chocolate mixture. Sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven. Immediately sprinkle with marshmallows. Return to oven and bake an additional 2 minutes.

Begin frosting while marshmallows are baking. In large saucepan, combine margarine, milk, unsweetened chocolate and 2 oz. cream cheese. Cook over low heat, stirring until well blended. Remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Immediately pour frosting over puffed marshmallows and lightly swirl with knife to marble. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.

7 comments:

Covey and Justin said...

I hate chocolate but I think I may just have to surprise Justin and Elijah with these--they sound like a chocolate lovers dream come true. WOW!

Mandi said...

Girl! It is so wrong for you to post a recipe like this for a chocolate lover like me to discover...I can't resist the temptation!

Audra Bollard said...

I love smores! Seriously. I got in huge trouble as an 8 year old when I tried to make one in the microwave and the marshmallows exploded everywhere. I need to make these while I'm still pregnant, before the dieting begins.

Lisa & Gerald said...

mmm looks yummy..I'm going to have to try this....

j&krosser said...

We will have to make these on our next date night, when Zak doesn't have to work. We will have to plan it soon. Jaden

Gina said...

These look sooo good. This could be a major diet-buster! I am a sucker for smores and brownies. I'm sure I would love this!

Catherine said...

These look GREAT Beth!!! Im so glad we found each other on here. It is so nice to keep up with old friends. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails