Sunday, June 14, 2009

Summer Reads


Historical Teen Fiction
I was so disappointed when this book ended. Like her other historical fiction novel, Fever 1776, Anderson takes a period of U.S. history that is often too graphic for juvenile fiction and makes it readable, accurate, and appropriate for the age group---and incredibly interesting/enlightening for the adult reader as well. Highly recommend.
Historical Fiction
I've seen Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid many times, but have never paid attention to Etta Place, Sundance's girlfriend (the scene where she and Butch are on the bicycle). After reading this book fictionalizing her life, I am intrigued. Apparently, no one really knows much about her. There's no history regarding her upbringing and then once Butch and the Kid are killed, she seems to disappear off the face of the earth. Koplan takes what little IS written about her and details from the time period to create a wonderful storyline. Highly recommend.
Historical Fiction
Another book about an obscure historical figure. Jeffery Archer normally writes mysteries and short stories (highly recommend his collections of short stories!!), so I was surprised to start reading and realize that this was not a mystery. At least not a typical mystery.
It is a mystery of sorts because no one actually knows if mountaineer George Mallory was the first man to reach the top of Mt. Everest or not. The credit has been given to other climbers, but this is a fictionalized account about Mallory. Highly recommend.
Fiction
My friend Annie turned me on to the author Harlan Coben a couple of years ago and I have really enjoyed picking up one of his books when I need to be distracted by an easy, quick read. The novels are page turners and this one was no different. The perfect summer read. Highly recommend.

Next up: the newest John Grisham (I realize it's not the greatest literature, but it's a guilty pleasure) and Gone with the Wind (on recommendation from Katie B). It's one of her favorite summer reads and I am hoping that it will be one of mine as well!

3 comments:

Seth and Peggy said...

What about the book club book? tsk tsk you should be reading it! :)

bethany said...

Oh, but I have read it-in fact, I chose it :)

edith said...

hi Beth. just this morning I asked on Twitter for book recommendations and then checked your blog. telepathy. :) will order those books from the library, need something more then the internet. have a good day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails