Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Something for myself

I am constantly bookmarking sewing projects that I want to whip up, but sadly only a fraction of them ever get made.

And I never make anything for myself. I think that stems from being a mommy and always thinking about my kid's. You know, cause I'm such a good person and all.

Sewing clothes for an adult also seems a bit more risky. A lot more seams to rip out.

On top of that, I'm never happy with my size. Taking my own measurements is a bit depressing. It's not like a scale where you can fudge a bit on the numbers (take one foot off, the number goes down. Not that I've ever done such a thing, I'm just assuming.). If you subtract a few numbers from the measurements, your sewing time will be fruitless and you'll have to give everything you make away to the skinny people.

But I continue to bookmark in hopes that one day I will have the time, weight and motivation.

I saw this tutorial on Sew Mama Sew for a Spring Ruffle Top a few weeks ago and, of course I filed it away.

A few days ago, in an attempt to stave off the laundry duties one more day, I actually got around to using it!! And I didn't make just one shirt, but TWO!!

Two shirts that cover up my fat, but hopefully are not flared enough for the "are you expecting?" question.

This one I made from a sheet I thrifted a couple of years ago.
Fabric is Alexander Henry's KleoObviously, I left off the ruffle sleeves--when I have a choice, I'm not much of a ruffles girl--and added a Shade underneath for modesty purposes. I have plans to use my stash to make a few more! Sew it. Wear it. Love it.

10 comments:

Shenna said...

I can't believe you sewed a shirt out of a sheet - you truly are creative and talented! They are really cute!!!

Stacy said...

Does it look ok with a shirt under? I also bookmarked it but have been scared to try it. How long did it take? They are so stinkin cute!

edith said...

Very cute, Beth! I might try to make a shirt for me too. I have this cute fabric I bought for Matilda but what does she know. :) Mama needs new clothes too. Hugs.

Mandi said...

These look fabulous!!! I'll have to check out the tutorial

Amy said...

I like both of them. I want to make one too once my baby is born. I think that they would work pretty well for nursing and hide my baby belly. Nice job!

Sabrina said...

I love them both. Great job. I bookmarked that tutorial too and maybe I can get around to it...although I can never pick out fabric for myself...

~Holly~ said...

Those are really cute! :)

Katrine said...

Very cute! I really like the red floral one.

bethany said...

Stacy- I think it looks fine with a shirt underneath, but I like the layered look. It was really easy to make-the first one took about an hour, but once I was used to the tutorial, it was much quicker!!

Jenny said...

Way cute Beth! I know what you mean about the mommy thing. I actually have a shirt cut out for myself but a long to do list in front of it. I have this one bookmarked too! I will have to make it this summer. Yours turned out so cute!

Related Posts with Thumbnails