Friday, May 22, 2009

Struggles

No one is free from struggle. I am realizing this more and more the older I get.

And one person's struggle is no more or less difficult than anothers. I think sometimes we look at each other and think, "I wish I had her life. It is perfect."

But I guarantee it's not. And if all of the trials in each person's life we laid out on a table, I think we all would choose to take ours back rather than trade.

I'll be honest. I have been throwing myself some wicked awesome pity parties this week. Black balloons, depressing music, the whole bit. And no one was invited. It's more fun to revel in your misery alone because then you can be a martyr.

Partying made me realize something. It doesn't make anything all better. In fact, it might actually make things worse. There is no faith or hope in the depths of despair (name that book) and without faith or hope, where will we be? Exactly. Grappling around in the dark alone.

There is a hand outstretched in the darkness. I just need to have the faith to grab His hand and be led. I'm learning that it's a hard thing to do and sometimes my impatience and humanness causes me to run ahead or let go to try and find my own way, but He is always there and I need to trust His plan for our family.

Easier said than done. But I am going to refocus this next week. Faith. Trust. Hope.

'The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord' (Job 1:21)

Talks I'm using as inspiration this week:
Faith in Adversity
Adversity

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Beth, I'm sorry you're going through this. Have you heard of the devotional book called "Streams in the Desert"? It's really good for times like these. You can find it online here:
http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/classics/desert/
Thanks for sharing your journey.

Adam and Melissa said...

I agree completely with what you said about laying all our trials on a table. I would still pick my own rather than someone else's because I have been thru them and know I can overcome them. My prayers are with you guys daily. Bring Jak over anytime and call me anytime for a meal or anything else!

Anne said...

..and the quote is from Anne of Green Gables.

Audra Bollard said...

It's so true that these things are "easier said than done," but just keep in mind that you are doing it--if you can even write a post like this right now then you are probably doing better than you think. You're looking to the right sources for help and they will not fail.

Love you.

Jenny said...

Hey Beth, Grandma told me what happened. I am so sorry! You are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that something comes soon. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, or if there are things I can donate to your store, etc. Let my parents know too if you need anything!

Related Posts with Thumbnails