Wednesday, April 15, 2009

This is three?

Jakson has never been a destructive child. Spirited, but not destructive.

Until he turned three.

Since 10:35 April 14th-the exact minute he aged-he has:

-dug up the tomatoes in our square foot garden
-colored his felt birthday banner that Grandma made with a bright yellow highlighter
-hung on a floating bookshelf in his room during nap time until it snapped off the wall
-climbed into the cupboards while I was taking a shower, found the food coloring and dyed himself, his pajama top, and a dishtowel red.

Welcome to three.

And just because it needs to be documented----a story....

Jakson always rides the garage door when it opens. He normally drops off when the door reaches about halfway up, but Monday he decided that he was feeling more kamikaze than usual and wanted to take a ride to the top. Not only that, but he hooked his little feet up on the door as well.

I had Storey in my arms as I was yelling at him to get down, trying to get her situated enough that she wouldn't fall out of her carseat onto the concrete, but before I could reach him, he slipped. My heart stopped as I watched him fall and land with his arm under his body and his face down. As quickly as I could, I buckled the top of Storey's seat (didn't want two injured children!) and rushed over. I honestly thought he was dead because he hadn't made a sound.

As I got to him, he started shrieking and I just KNEW he was gonna stand up with his bone sticking out of his arm or something equally horrific. I picked him up and cuddled his convulsing body, all the while trying to get a good look at his arm, but he was being very protective of it. After about three minutes of cuddling and crying, he looked up at me and said, "Bobby, kiss." He held out his arm for me to kiss-no bones sticking out, not even blood, just a scrape. I have no idea how he escaped with such a minor injury. I swear the kid is industructible.

Did he learn his lesson?

Of course not. After naptime the same day, we were headed out to the store and, as the garage door was opening, there he was latched on for another ride.

Sigh.

10 comments:

MaryAnne said...

There's definitely something to turning three and being destructive. My daughter was the model child until her third birthday - and suddenly she's getting into mischief every thirty seconds...

I'm glad Jakson survived the fall!

Mandi said...

Oh my goodness! Reading this did not make me feel any better about my already somewhat destructive son. :)

Amanda said...

Wow! He lucked out!

Shenna said...

So I'm gathering that your day only got better from when we left...hide and lock everything. :)

Sabrina said...

Oh my Lord! I cannot believe that...there are no words! God bless you as Jaks mom!

KatieB said...

you let your kid ride the garage door?

bethany said...

There's really no stopping him....

Anne said...

What would happen if you strapped him into his car seat before you opened the door,or opened it up before you take him, Storey, and all your stuff (diaper bag, etc) out to the car? Just wondering.

bethany said...

But mom, that's so logical....

edith said...

I am just reading this. I didn't even know it's possible to ride the garage door! Did someone show this to him? I am glad he is OK.

Related Posts with Thumbnails