Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Little Fabric Headband Tutorial

The lengths shown here are for Storey (8 months), but you could easily add or subtract length for an older or younger child. This is a fabulous easy (10 minute) project for leftover scraps.

Cut one piece of fabric--3 inches wide and 13 inches long
Fold the raw edges over (wrong sides together) about 1/2 inch and sew down on both short sides.This is what it looks like with both sides sewn down.
Now fold in half, right sides together and sew with a 1/4" seam allowance to create a tube. Turn sewn tube right side out. Press flat with an iron. You want the seam to be at the bottom of the headband like this...This is the top of the headband-no seam.
Cut 4-5 inches of elastic (size 1/8" width). Feed about 3/4" into one end of pressed headband.Top stitch along the existing seam, making sure that you catch the elastic. Then do the same thing to the other end--feed the elastic into the tube about 3/4" and then top stitch down.Place your shiny new headband on a cute baby!The fantastic onesie Storey has on is from my friend Sabrina's shop-Noodles and Milk. Love it!Let me know if you have any questions about the headband tutorial. I'd love to help!

7 comments:

edith said...

Great tutorial. Will make a headband for M too. :) And thank you so much for posting the giveaway on A Little Etsy Love.

Annette said...

Lovely tutorial!! Thank you so much! We have some purchased elastic head bands that Meghan likes to wear hippie style! They're rather ugly though...but early on it was all we could do for her crazy hair. I really look forward to making some for both of us! I'll link to you if I show off my work on the blog (which I probably will).

Thanks again!

Jenny said...

Cute Beth! Storey is getting so big! Last time I saw her she was just tiny.

Diana Hawkins said...

I loved the little green one she was wearing Sunday. I didn't even notice the elastic then either.

...and I want to see a picture of Jakson's Chicken Butt. :)

Julie @ Joy's Hope said...

Crazy cute for our little hair challenged cuties. Add this to my list of must makes!

Cate O'Malley said...

My one-year-old refuses to wear any barrettes, hairbands or anything else to tame her mop - have a tutorial for that? :) Love the headband!

123 123 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts with Thumbnails