Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Kitchen Project

The original plan was to purchase a play kitchen for Jak's birthday. Because we have no room for it except along the back wall in our real kitchen, I didn't want a big crazy colored plastic one. Instead I wanted a nice wood kitchen. Cute, but affordable.

Apparently those are not easy to come by. Even the ones on Craigslist were around $100. And Jakson's only three. That's almost as much as Zak paid for his first car.

Then I decided to make him a cardboad kitchen from this pattern I found on Etsy. Adorable, right?

But I came to my senses, remembering that this is also the child that hangs from garage doors and drills holes in bookshelves after he rips them off the wall (oh, did I forget to mention that part? Yes, daddy left the drill within climbing distance and Jakson found it. Nice.) Cardboard was definitely out.

Wood or metal seemed my only alternatives, but I don't weld and we were facing a birthday deadline so carpentry didn't seem a feasible option. Then, I found this fabulous IKEA hack kitchen on Ohdeedoh. Winner!

Trip to IKEA to find parts. But after looking at the RAST night stand and realizing it was exponentially smaller than it looks in the pictures, we decided to go a different route.

So, using the Vattern sink cabinet (on clearance for $9.99) and some scraps from the as-is, we made Jakson a larger kitchen for less!

Before:This is the Vattern cabinet with an alternate top (the piece of wood that came with the Vattern had a large hole for a bathroom sink pre-cut) that Zak screwed on with L brackets. It already came with a shelf inside, which worked great for our purposes!

After:

Ingredients:
-bowl from Walmart ($8)
-PANNA coasters in black (IKEA--$1.99)
-faucet from Habitat for Humanity thrift store ($1.50-check to see if you have one of these in your area-they are AWESOME!!)
-scrap board for "backsplash"-(AS IS section in IKEA-$.99)
-MOLGER shelf painted leaf green-(IKEA-$4.99)
-BYGEL rail and hooks-(IKEA-$1.99/$.99)
-knobs from Target (on clearance for $.87 a piece)
-fabric for curtain is Michael Miller's Tortoise Plaid
All for about $35.

It's still a work in progress as I want to add a couple dishtowel bars made from handles at Target, but I'm waiting for them to go to 75% off. I'm so cheap.

18 comments:

Leanna said...

cute! I love it

Megan said...

Yay!! That is so creative and cute! Can't wait to see everyone tomorrow!!!

Sabrina said...

Holy cow. That is amazing! Great work. We are wanting something like that for Emy for xmas--might have to make up a girly version!

Jenny said...

Love it Beth! It is so cute! Josh made a stove and fridge for K but still hasn't gotten around to the sink part. Love how you did yours! Now you will have to whip up some play food, and apron and chefs hat for him! Have fun!

Heidi said...

I love coming to your blog to see your fun and cute creations! You did not disappoint this time...WAY cute kitchen!! I love the green!!

*katie* said...

So cute! You have such a good eye for turning something blah into something amazing!

MaryAnne said...

This looks great, I love IKEA!

Kerry said...

Wow! That is amazing and so cute! I'm so jealous of how handy and crafty you two are! Lucky Jakson!

Veronica said...

That is incredible!!! You are so stinkin creative.

[AnnieR] said...

This is incredible! I am so impressed. Not surprised, but very impressed. So, so cool.

Emily said...

Amazing!!! Seriously, you are so awesome.

sewdelightful said...

So cool! And you'll love it forever!

Diana Hawkins said...

I love this! Long live IKEA ...

Virginia said...

Hi!

I made the one on Ohdeeoh you linked to in your post! I am so glad to see it is still inspiring people to make them. Mine is really small as we live in a tiny apartment. I raised it by putting it on screw on legs but it has a very small "footprint". Way to go on your amazing Ikea kitchen! Enjoy!

Jane said...

This is so awesome!

Tururu said...

ive your cheatp and nice idea, so i link you in my blog. look: http://babydeco.blogspot.com/2009/04/ikea-hack-cocinitas-made-in-ikea-4.html

All the best from Madrid

the818 said...

This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing - I just stumbled over here from IkeaHacker - we're expecting our first and have a plethora of projects we're starting on, but I'm definitely bookmarking this for down the line! Brilliant!

Linda said...

Oh my goodness- I LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails