Sunday, April 05, 2009

Horses are cool.

Jakson's very best friend Natalie is turning 3 tomorrow. Our kids are three already?!?

Currently Natalie believes herself to be a horse. She told her mother a couple of weeks ago that she wanted her mane cut and often informs me that horses don't eat pizza offered lunch. Natalie knows the difference between a Palomino and Appaloosa and even has her own cardboard stable, complete with trough in her living room. Her horse mania is especially entertaining at church when she is neighing in the halls.

So, what better present for a horse obssessed girl than a sock horse to cuddle?
You'll have to excuse the lumpiness. It was my first attempt at a sock critter. I used the helpful tutorial from here, a pair of women's knee socks (the reason for the horses' lankiness) and some yarn I had on hand.

Since that project didn't take as long as I had originally allotted for it (all day), I had some extra time this afternoon to try and figure out an Easter dress for Storey. After realizing that all Easter dresses are pastel, I decided to go with something a little more unusual. I've lusted after this dress from Grosgrain since she posted it last yearand wanted to create my own take on it--patternless in true Project Runway fashion. I changed up the style and added sleeves. I also knew that I wouldn't be able to figure out how to make such a pretty bow, so went for the cumberbun look instead. I'm really happy with the results, although the skirt ended up not full enough. Oh well. There's always next time, right?

I am really loving green right now.

12 comments:

Shenna said...

Cute dress and cute horse. She'll love it. Hopefully there will be no sand for them to eat tomorrow! :)

Adam and Melissa said...

Love the dress!!! You are so stinking creative. I finished Allison's Easter dress and I haven't posted it yet. And I am sure Natalie will love the sock horse. I wish we could go tomorrow, but it is way too far to walk :(

Holly North said...

She will love it. Great! Now I'm going to have to fight to keep her from bringing that to church, the store, the bathtub, etc. It's worth it, though. She'll be happy.

Sabrina said...

Love the dress. Nice work. I am attempting a dress for Emerson this week. I do have a store-bought one on back-up though:)

Jenny said...

The dress is awesome Beth! Way to go! Here is a link for making sashes if you wanna check it out... http://www.youcanmakethis.com/info/free/Free-Big-Beautiful-Bow-Sashes.htm hope you are feeling better and that you have a great week!

Amanda said...

That dress looks likes it's from J Crew. Cute!

Julie @ Joy's Hope said...

love the horse, love the dress, love the green!
Looking forward to seeing pics of your cutie in it.

Diana Hawkins said...

That sock horse is adorable! I bet she'll love it.

Great job on the dress too!

edith said...

What a lovely dress! Please post a picture of Storey wearing it. And the sorse (sock horse) looks adorable. The little girl will love it!

Spjut Family said...

Wow, i had no idea how crafty you truly are. You are amazing. I'm so impressed. :) Luv, the dress, and the horse.

Holly North said...

As Natalie's (aka the little girl's) mom, I'm happy to report that she loves the horse toy! I do not understand the mystical and inexplicable child/toy relationship, but it is clear that they have definitely formed a bond. Natalie spent quite a bit of the evening holding the doll. Even now, she is cuddling with it while her two faithful comfort items have been thrown nonchalantly on the floor (like Woody in the first Toy Story after Andy got Buzz). So, at any rate, she really likes it. Thanks, Beth!

Gina said...

Your horse turned out adorable. Love the idea of adding pink to it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails