Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Another Easter dress

Seriously, how many Easter dresses does one kid need? But, I've been seeing these men's dress shirt refashions everywhere and really felt motivated to make a version for Storey. I picked up a couple of dress shirts at 99 cent Savers Monday to transform.

My friend Gina's mom posted a really great dress from a women's top she made with a part of the shirt I hadn't considered before--the sleeve. I love the pleats and buttons down the front-so cute!!
Using the same basic idea, I cut the arm off at the shoulder, opened it up along the seam, cut out some of the body of the shirt for the back of the dress and some fabric scraps for a pocket. I think it turned out really cute although if Storey was even an inch bigger, it wouldn't fit her (because the wrist of the sleeve wasn't very wide). I'm hoping I can get larger men's shirts to make her bigger dresses as well.As you can see, she was drooling over the dress. She liked it THAT much.

I may eventually get around to creating a tutorial for the dress if anyone is interested, but for now, here are a few men's shirt upcycle projects to keep you busy.

15 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Her dress is adorable! I've seen men's shirt sleeves turned into overalls this way also.

edith said...

I wouldn't have even thought about it. What a great idea! Storey looks awesome.

Ginny said...

Ugh! I just left this long comment and then it got erased! Anyways, I was just saying how jealous I am that you are sooo crafty....with like everything! I think it's so amazing and really inspiring....honestly. Also, for the LONGEST time, until today....I always wondered where your comment section was! I finally figured out it was on the TOP of a post rather than the BOTTOM. Funny Ginny....hence, now I am commenting!

bethany said...

I'm just really good at stealing other people's ideas :)

Adam and Melissa said...

How adorable :) And it sounds pretty easy. She is adorable!

deborah said...

very cute... i likey.

Danielle said...

YOu are so talented!! I may actually have to try this since I will have 3 girls in the next 5 weeks!

Shenna said...

Wow, that turned out great!!

Matt & Brooke said...

That really is SO cute beth!!! So fun to see you and your cute kids last weekend! next time we will have a craft day!

Jenny said...

Love the dress Beth! I think that it has some great detail with the sleeve as the front! Z is doing much better. At 2 weeks he was diagnosed with an ear infection. After a almost 4 day stay at the hospital, a spinal tap, and an ear drain, and some major antibiotics, and a prescription for amoxocilan he is doing much better. I am so glad that I caught it in time or it could have turned into something worse fast. The poor little guy really went though a lot! Thanks for asking! Hope you have a wonderful Easter weekend!

FamilyKolbaba said...

This may be my favorite thing you've made...it's up there with the 80s t-shirt turned baby onesie. Nice work :) Slightly unfortunate I'm having a boy....

Gina said...

What made my mom's upcycle work so well was that it was a 3/4 length sleeve- so it was wider than a traditional long sleeve.... I love your version. Adorable!

Diana Hawkins said...

You're amazing - I looked at the blog where you got the idea, and I saw how you did your own take on the straps. Being such a "directions" person, it takes a real leap for me to even think about trying to make this kind of thing from scratch, let alone get creative with it!

I'm with Mandy - this may be one of my favorite creations you've done so far.

Adorable!

Alayna said...

That is so cute! What a fantastic idea!

katty said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts with Thumbnails