Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Pity Comments

There's a popular blog post going around with the title Pay it Forward. You may have seen it, you may have even signed up...

About a year ago it was making its way through the blogs as well. I signed up, posted the forward portion and waited for the comments to roll in.

And waited.

And waited.

It is slightly humiliating to admit that no one signed up to receive something from me. Not. one. person. I thought about reposting it, but I'm no masochist.

So, when my friends started posting recently with promises of a handmade gift in exchange for a comment it was tempting...but I held out to save my ego. I tried to resist forever, but there were so many and I just couldn't help myself.

This time though, I'm taking a different approach....I'm making you feel sorry for me so then you'll comment and I won't look like an idiot....again.

Here are the rules: The first three people to pity comment on this post get a handmade gift from me. Might be a flower headband, something for the kids, an apron...the possibilities are endless. THE CATCH: You must be willing to "pay it forward" yourself either by doing the same thing on your blog or, if you don't want to send a gift, you can also do service for three people, take cookies to three neighbors, etc. It's up to you how you pay it forward.

Comment to keep me from crying myself to sleep. Comment to keep me sane. Comment to get something free. Comment because you love America.

Hey, whatever it takes.

14 comments:

Mandi said...

I love commenting on your blog! Count me in! It's been on my mind lately to do something for my neighbors so this will motivate me even more. (:

Holman House said...

I'm in!! This is just the thing I needed today, thanks for getting this started, already I'm thinking of things to pay forward!

Veronica said...

You are too pathetic. I'll bite :)

bethany said...

Yes, but the important thing is that my patheticness worked...

MeganL said...

OH no....I didnt make it! :( But I'll still comment because I LOVE your blog! I'm still going to find something nice to do for someone too. The world needs more nice!

Katie said...

Ah bummer, I'm too late!

Covey and Justin said...

I think I should get in the top three as a pity sake--I had three kids today and EJ has been tantruming since 3pm (its now 5pm and still going). I would love something homemade and would gladly pay it forward or just swap. :)

bethany said...

Aw what the heck-you guys are nice and I like to make stuff. I'll take the top 6 :) You will all have to email me with your shipping addresses though (except you Covey, I've got yours :)).

mel*~reachforthestars~* said...

AWWW. Don't be too sad! :) Cheer up!

bethany said...

That's 8-there's room for one more!!

Diana Hawkins said...

Beth, As you are one of exactly two people whose blog I check EVERY DAY, I will gladly leave you a comment even though I'm too late for a gift! :) I like the pay it forward idea; however, since almost no one reads my blog, I don't think advertising it there will do anyone any good. It's funny - I tell myself I blog for myself, family journal, blah blah blah, but then a day or two goes by with no comments (truly, zero) and I feel a little blue, and I have to seriously reexamine my motives ...

How's that for pity? I'm sorry, was it supposed to be for you? ;)

Diana Hawkins said...

Just got your comment - I think it probably helps that you actually post every day or close to it! :)

I'm working on that...at least I was until February 9th. But you inspired me and I'm going to try for another good run!

Thanks for stopping by, just the same!

j&krosser said...

You know I probably wanted to comment and then never did because I figured you would be the popular one and would end up rejected or worse yet forget to pay it forward- so, sorry!

Holly North said...

Well, I got excited but now I'm kind of relieved that I didn't make the giveaway because my to-do list is really full and I would have struggled to pay it forward, at least until the baby's bigger. How about I'll look at the cute handmade things that you put on Storey, and then I don't have to do anything. I can appreciate an adorable little girl but then I don't have to worry about looking around my house for the cute matching hair things that go to specific outfits. I'll just live cutely through you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails