Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I eat my feelings


When I was single (or even married, no toddler) I wasn't this way, but I have noticed lately that when I get stressed/frustrated/annoyed beyond my capacity to deal with it, I start to eat. And normally I don't buy snack food because I don't want that kind of temptation in my house.

But this week, I have found ways around that.

BTW-I realize this post includes revealing depictions of my severely lacking parenting skills. Feel free to judge, just don't tell me. It may drive me to eat the whole pan of chocolate revel bars. I don't BUY junk food. I just keep around the ingredients to BAKE it.

Case in point:
Jakson wakes up. I ask him what he wants to eat for breakfast. He grunts and slams himself against the fridge door a whole bunch of times. Unfortunately, this is not a sign for anything that I understand, so I get out the oatmeal and ask if he would like some. Apparently, this is the wrong question because he runs at me, head down, full speed like a bull. He is sent to time out.

I grab a handful of M and Ms left out on the counter from this recipe, and watch him in time out as I eat them.

Later, (about 10 minutes) after he has eaten Dino Nuggets for breakfast (yes, this is what the child chooses for breakfast), I let him watch a little TV. I head into the kitchen to get myself some breakfast (read: something healthy), but before I can reach my destination, Jakson kicks Storey in the head. She starts hollering, he finds himself in time out again.

I realize I'm not going to have time for a real breakfast, so I grab those two cake mix cookies that Holly left at my house and eat them instead.

After Curious George, I inform Jak that it is time to turn the TV off and get dressed. Of course, this news is met with unhappiness in the form of throwing himself on the floor and writhing around in invisible pain.

I let him writhe while I eat the rest of the leftover M&Ms (hey-there weren't THAT many!).

Once everyone is dressed, the morning continues without incident. That is, until nap time.

Jakson NEEDS a nap, but he doesn't want to take one. He throws a huge fit, so I shut the door and let him get it out of his system.

Where is that piece of pie?

13 comments:

Covey and Justin said...

I am so totally there with you!! My weakness is sweet pickles--I love them. I gave them up "for Lent" (Basically I just wanted to see if I could give them up and ate the last jar on Fat Tuesday and figured I would give up something like a bunch of others do--misery loves company) Oh--I was up to 3 or 4 jars a week! Oh how I miss them. I crave them so bad on days when I am stressed. At least I hate chocolate :)

Adam and Melissa said...

Don't worry Beth... Carter will sometimes eat the strangest things for breakfast too. I find myself eating horrible because I need the sugar boost for my sanity!

Sabrina said...

I do the same thing! Since my toddler is not that crazy (yet) I take it out on the stress of being busy. If my to-do list is insane or I have a ton of orders to complete I have to stop to take a break and eat several handfuls of oreos or whatever goodness I can find.

bethany said...

It's so good to know that I'm not the only one....

Diana Hawkins said...

Glad to know it's not just me! If it's been a rough day, hide the no bake cookies ... and anything else with peanut butter and chocolate in it!

Holly North said...

Hey, today Alana REALLY needed a whole bag of mini robin eggs as a special treat. Yes, I also don't buy any junk food for myself. Well, I had to help her just a bit. And I love the excuse that I'm buying "potty treats" so that I have something in that moment before I'm about to go insane (I swear, the candy does its job and keeps me from needing a straight jacket. It honestly makes me feel better. Isn't that psychologically messed up?!)

sewdelightful said...

I hear ya! I have my stash of Jr. Mints! -they're sorta healthy right? :)

Princess Martha said...

Welcome to motherhood, the more kids you have, the worse it gets! I love to read that I am not alone with this problem! All we can do is laugh & eat junk food...then go to the gym and sweat it off! Haha!!

Princess Martha said...

Ooh, meant to say, it does disappear again once they get older!

bethany said...

Only problem: I don't go to the gym afterwards. I should probably work on that.

cece said...

I like to use the theory that if no one sees you eat it, then it didn't happen. It works for me. :)

Matt & Brooke said...

Oooh, I LOVE to bake! Angry, sad, happy, grumpy, giddy, I bake! not good! When are you coming to cali for a craft day :)

Danielle said...

Are you spying on me? This is totally my life, but my problem is I tell myself that it is okay because I am pregnant. I'll change my ways when its over right? No I eat like this all the time.... now where are those girl scout cookies!

Related Posts with Thumbnails