Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Things I have learned about discipline this week

  1. It is easier to manage 33 twelve year olds in a classroom than 1 two year old in my home
  2. Sticker charts don't work as well as they tell you they do in BYU Child Development classes. And yes, even if you let them pick which stickers they want. Doesn't work.
  3. Two year olds are amazingly stubborn.
  4. Taking away favorite stuffed animals/blankets is not an effective form of punishment
  5. Neither is having a child sleep in time out
  6. Disciplining over and over and over and over puts me in a spiteful mood.
  7. I said I hope you get a kid just like you at least ten times in the past week. And when he's 30 and calls me for advice because his son won't sleep at night, I'm telling him that a sticker chart works like a charm. Because I know it won't work. Just to spite him.

10 comments:

MaryAnne said...

lol I tried a sticker chart with my daughter. She filled it in with her crayons because she wasn't getting stickers. When I told her that didn't count, she said that she didn't care about prizes anyway because she already had toys...

Kerry said...

Oh man! I know I have no idea what it's really like, but I have a bit of an inkling after being in a classroom, so I'd like to think I can relate and feel your pain. Hang in there!!
PS: Just like some of your posts remind you why you don't have a dog, this one reminds me why I don't have kids! ; ) Yours are stinkin' cute, though!

Kerry said...

By "some of your posts" I really meant some of MY posts! Oops!

Gina said...

Nothing but empathy here. I hear ya. I don't like parenting books, because from what I've seen they don't work. But reading "How to Raise your spirited child" was helpful to me in understanding my Jackson better. Every day is a new day!

Brit said...

All I can say is...AMEN!

Casey said...

oh yes, I've tried all those things! *sigh* no fun at all

edith said...

Stay strong, Bethany. this shall pass too. ;) I survived one 2 year old (now he is almost 4 and we go through another stage) and my girl will be there very soon. I learned to stay patient. No stickers here, they are reserved only for doctor's visits. Time outs always worked well for me.

cece said...

Oh my... your post make me question why I am wanting children so badly... wait I want a baby... that's different isn't it? Hang in there! Oh and apparently I just sang in time out if you can imagine that!

Diana Hawkins said...

I completely understand! I laughed out loud because I vividly remember Kathryn systematically dismantling many of my preconceived notions about parenting one by one, many of which I also obtained in my BYU Marriage and Family classes ... and then when Chloe came along, I felt I had figured some things out and was entitled to enjoy the fruits of my newfound wisdom by doing everything "right" the second time around, except she came with entirely different quirks from Kathryn. The whole being-a-mom thing is just one wild ride. I feel for you though! :)

Francisco said...

My mom's words exactly " I hope you get a kid like yourself" well in spanish that is... wow! I assume your talking about Jackson...

Related Posts with Thumbnails