Sunday, February 01, 2009

Postpone and Revise

If you've been reading my blog, then you know that I have been greatly concerned about the legislation that was passed last August with the acronym CPSIA regarding children's product testing. It would have put my Etsy shop (and many others) out of business due to the ridiculous cost of testing my naturally lead free cotton.

Amazingly and miraculously, on Friday, the CPSC made the decision to postpone the enforcement of the regulations for ONE YEAR while they revise the law!!

There's still work to be done to insure that the law is rewritten so that handmade businesses can continue selling, book publishers don't have to have books tested for lead, and thrift shops can still carry used children's products once the year deadline passes, but this is really great news for the time being. I am excited that I will be able to reopen the shop once we get back from vacation and continue to sell slings, etc.

So thanks to all of you who wrote your congressmen, posted blogs, or spoke with your friends and family about CPSIA. It was all of the exposure from everyday people (like you!) about the idiocy of this law that motivated the changes we see now!!

2 comments:

Erica said...

That is exciting news. I am so glad the shop will continue.

edith said...

I know, I can't believe that they extended the deadline. i am very happy about it. see you on Etsy. :)
And I hope your trip is going great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails