Thursday, February 26, 2009

headband night and a felt flower tutorial

SIX ladies sported new felt flowers in the form of brooches, bobby pins and headbands this past Sunday--definitely a way to measure a successful craft night! I meant to gather the girls for a picture, but in my haste to rescue Jakson's nursery teacher, I forgot. Darn.

After making a couple of flowers, hands down my favorite pattern is this one from Yoonie at Home. The end result looks the most like the creations I was coveting from Etsy and looks great whether it is made from wool felt or craft felt.

I attached one to a bobby pin (just sewed some extra knots underneath the flower and slipped the bobby pin through) and hot glued another to a black headband. The pattern from Yoonie also includes a printable template, something I think is a MUST.

Slight changes I made:
  • Instead of cutting green leaves out of the larger templates (the ones that say "leaves") I cut them a little bigger (outside of the lines) in the same color to create a larger flower.
  • It says to print the template on A4 paper, something I saw a lot of in New Zealand, not so much here in the States. Do I printed it on regular 8 1/2"x 11" paper without changing any of the settings and it was just fine.
  • There are only seven layers in this flower, but you can add as many as you want (I had 8-9 in each of mine)
I realize that my hair looks a shade green in this picture. Rest assured that it is not actually green, just the horrible lighting in our kitchen late at night.

Other helpful tutorials I found:
Felt Pom Flower
Flower Choker-easily trimmed down for a headband
Felt Flower Accessory
Felt Rose Headband
Felt Flower Hairpins

During my search for ideas, I was also looking in particular for one I could stick on a clip for Storey. Could NOT find one anywhere that I liked!! I finally gave in and made one up. So that you don't have to go through the same agony of searching for hours with no results, I have created a tutorial for a little girl's felt flower. But you'll have to excuse the ghettoness of it.

Click here (Flower Template) for the PDF pattern of the flower-I realize it is pretty crappy looking, but it does the job. If you hate it, you can always get me Publisher as an early Christmas present :)
  1. Print out the flower template and cut out the pattern pieces
  2. Pin the pattern pieces to desired felt colors.
  3. Cut out the large flower (that's the photo) and Circle 2 with sewing (standard) scissors.
  4. Use pinking shears to cut out Circle 1.
  5. Layer the flower, circle 1, and circle 2, then sew a button through all three layers
  6. Optional: add a decorative stitch (hand sewn) with coordinating embroidery thread around the button on Circle 2 (as seen in the picture of Storey)
  7. Add an alligator clip--my friend Amy taught me an easy way to do this. Cut a small piece of sticky back Velcro, open up the clip, slide the Velcro between the two "jaws" of the clip with the sticky facing the top "jaw". Attach the clip with the sticky side up to the felt flower. Press firmly. It should look something like this:
  8. You're done! Slip it into the hair of someone cute and snap a few pictures!! I'd love to see them!! As always, let me know if you have any questions: bethanycr {AT} gmail{DOT}com

16 comments:

Mique (as in Mickey) said...

Beth-
Thanks for the comment. ;) You know how to woo me for sure- food and crafts. My two favorites!!
LOVE this post. You better believe I'll be linking to this.
Thanks!!

edith said...

Those felt flowers look beautiful. I will make a hair pin for my daughter, have to try it. Where can I buy the felt? Any recommendations? Storey looks lovely with her new flower pin.

edith said...

Thank you Beth for the tips where to buy the felt! Very helpful. Happy Friday!

bethany said...

no problem!

Anonymous said...

Oh they look so cute! I have all the material to make them, it was just that night we ended up going to Peoria to run an errand. We ran into two car accidents blocking traffic and one closed road, so it took way long and I didn't get back in time to go to the headband night. We are in Utah now for a funeral and that's why I missed book club. I was really going to have that book finished in time except we had to leave...

Crystal said...

I'm coveting your flowers... :-) they're pretty awesome

Holly North said...

Wow. The velcro on the clip idea is sheer genius! This looks so simple that I may even have to try it.

Mandi said...

I've been wanting to dabble with something like this...thanks for the tutorial. (:

Crystal said...

so, i just wanted to say that yesterday I made a few of these and they were so easy!! I needed something to take my mind off of this week and it really helped. Thank you. And- Jon really likes them :-) so, that's a plus, right?

yoonie at home said...

HI! It's yoonie, dropping by to say good job on the felt flower. Love your blog!!!

Leanna said...

i made one of these with crystal last night!

hair clips said...

Those felt flowers look beautiful. This tutorial inspired me to make some of my own. Thank you for giving some helpful tutorials. :)

Shabby Cottage Shops said...

Thanks for sharing the beautiful felt flowers information. They are just too precious! Would love to follow, but I can't seem to find the "follow" button! I invite you to follow us!

Debie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
singapore florist said...

you're very creatively awesome. that's sweetness!!

laura joli said...

Love this, I've actually got all the materials ready to make mine now!

Related Posts with Thumbnails