Wednesday, January 07, 2009

On the walls

As I've mentioned before, the only art on the walls of our house is photography. Pictures of us. How vain.

Really though, it's photos of the kids. Because they are cute and aren't screaming at me from pictures. In times of tantrums, the photos help remind me why I like my children.

And I want my home to reflect what is important to me--my family, books, 6th grade poetry....Now you know the real reason behind Miss V wanting to keep your work as "an example for next year's class." She really wanted to use it for home decor.

Unfortunately, Storey hadn't been added to any of our wall art. I had good intentions about ordering prints and hanging them, but just never could find the time. After seeing this I was inspired and re-invigorated to finally get our photo displays changed to reflect our growing family (I just want you to know that I really hesitated using the word growING for fear that it might infer we are continuing to add family members, which is not the case--I'm most definitely NOT pregnant).

The wall going up the stairs was especially in need of a makeover. The larger than life photos would go there. And the rest of the frames just needed updates.

Result of the updated frames on the collage wall--I noticed once I took a picture of the frames, that some of them are a little crooked and I know this is causing some of you to go into conniptions. Rest assured that in real life I have straightened them:
Hallway Before--so drab and boring
After--BAM! They really are larger than life-we compared Jakson photo to Jakson human and Jakson photo definitely has a bigger head.
And just in case you are interested, here's the scoop:

  • IKEA clip frames-they are $5.99 each-I love the simplicity of no visible frame. Bigger impact from the actual photo.
  • 20x20 prints from Bay Photo-I HIGHLY recommend this company-HIGHLY!!! Your first order is 1/2 off which made these photos around $10 each, more than half of what I would have paid anywhere else AND shipping was only $1.50 for two day UPS!! Fabulous customer service-just wonderful all around. Here's the link again.
  • I had to cut the pictures down a little because the clip frames are actually only 19 3/4" by 19 3/4". No big deal.
  • Super easy and not too expensive!
One more thing checked off my incredibly long list. If you decide to make a photo wall too, send me the link, I'd love to see it!! Always looking for people to copy!

I'm kidding. Sort of.

18 comments:

lindsay said...

hey, i love the 3 b&w pictures on your wall. how did you make the pictures all square?

Amber, That's Me! said...

I really like the pics on stairs- it makes it look so interesting! I want to do some big ones now too, thanks for the link.

Sabrina said...

I am TOTALLY copying you. I needed some inspiration for the play area (which is open into our dining/kitchen area- so I don't want cheesy "kid" art)- This will be PERFECT! It may take awhile, but consider yourself copied:)

~Holly~ said...

That looks great!!!

bethany said...

Lindsay-Bay Photo has a really great program that you can download in order to crop down your pictures to the size that you are going to order. I would recommend using them instead of trying to guess and cropping them in another program before you upload there. They have detailed instructions about how it all works on their website.

Shenna said...

I LOVE your big pictures. Super, super cute!

Mandi said...

I LOVE this idea and thanks for the link! I'm definitely going to do this somewhere in our house!

Miss Diana said...

Love the idea - thanks for the links! I'm always glad to have someone else do the research for me so I can benefit from their labor! :)

Thanks again, Beth! Love your blog!

Miss Diana said...

In case you're wondering where the "Miss" came from, I'm apparently still posting through my preschool teacher account ... lol You don't have to call me Miss Diana, though you can if you like, Miss V.

Erin said...

alright...I'm oficially motivated!

KatieB said...

very cute. i have my spot for my photowall and the pictures all planned out. it's those stupid frames that are holding me back. but now aaron brothers is having their buy one get one for a penny sale, so maybe i'll give in.

Melissa said...

What a great idea! I was looking to get canvas prints that are large like that, but that's muc more economical. Nice work, Bethy.

Danielle said...

So cute.... are the pictures on a heavier paper or are they just photo paper?
I have a wall that needs a bit of updating and this may just be the answer!

Seth and Peggy said...

You asked for it. Here is a link to the photos on our living room wall. Well, our old living room wall where we used to live. They are on the wall in our house now, but I'm too lazy to go take a picture right now.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_N71F_hKe5ws/R_lgHqpG8jI/AAAAAAAABYk/waVAJS8TIxw/s1600-h/DSCF0963.jpg

If that doesn't work, this should:

http://paulakphotography.blogspot.com/2008/04/home-decor.html

Your 20x20 pictures look really great. One day if we ever have a wall big enough to do something like that, maybe we'll try it. That is a great deal for only $10 each.

Seth and Peggy said...

Oh yeah, here are some other photos we did. We made them out of cardboard and put fabric over them and glued a ribbon on the back. A much better deal than $21 each at Real Deals!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_N71F_hKe5ws/R_lgIapG8nI/AAAAAAAABZE/Frov6_xvqVE/s1600-h/DSCF0994.jpg

Annette said...

Hi...I came to see you from Make and Takes.

You have a great style. I am curious about the 20 inch pictures. I know you said you hung them with little hooks, but are the pictures just photo paper or something different?

Thanks!

Lisa said...

I love this!!!!

Susan said...

WOW! I love these! Checking the link out now!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails