Monday, January 05, 2009

The end of an era

Until last Saturday, Jakson still slept with a pacifier. Go ahead. Judge me.

Before Storey was born, I was too pregnant to care and afterwards, I figured he had enough changes for a little while. But it's been almost five months, his violent "attention isn't all on me" phase is over and I felt it was about time. That and Zak commented that his teeth were starting to look a little buck. It's okay if his hair always sticks up, but I can't handle crazy teeth. Call me vain.

Trusty Google didn't let me down with the plethora of pacifier weaning ideas that it provided. I chose one that fit our curcumstances and began to prepare Jak for the dreaded day. Truth be told, I just took it away from him one morning without warning and said "no more". During the tantrum that followed, I thought "There has got to be a better way to do this."

My friend Holly just had a baby girl and we wasted no time exploiting her for our needs. We told Jak that he was going to give baby Eleanor his pacifier as a present. Just what she needs, right? We prepped him for two days with promises of fries and dollar store frogs-calling him big boy and reminding him about the impending "fi" separation.

At the designated time, he added his beloved pacifier to a plastic baggie (so that no one in the North family would actually have to touch the thing) and Jakson helped write on it and drew a little picture.


He gave it to baby Eleanor. Doesn't she look happy with her new present?
Jakson showing off his prized frogs.

If I would have known the whole process was going to involve so little drama, the pacifier would have been gone a long time ago. He moaned "Fi! Fi" that night for a few minutes and whines if we mention it, but nothing ridiculous like I had feared.

And I promise Eleanor will get something better than a stinky old pacifier for her next birthday!!

15 comments:

Sabrina said...

Nice work! I completely dread that day and hope that it goes that smoothly. Although with the way the milk situation is going, it might be the end of the world. Yea Jak!

Covey and Justin said...

We got rid of it when EJ had Fifth's disease--he claimed his "bot" gave him bot-blisters in his mouth and threw them away. I was so happy!! Glad Jackson got rid of his without drama too. (PS I like the pink paci :) )

bethany said...

I know-isn't that hot pink great? It was seriously the only on that he would use-he would search the house looking for that ONE. I guess he was getting in touch with his feminine side.

North Family Arizona said...

Maybe the pink is why he likes barbie so much...

Thanks for letting us help you out with this...

Really, it is a good Idea.

Phil

cece said...

I wish I could find the card org. that I have been looking for. How did you make one?

Amanda said...

Well done on making the transition so easy! I will definitely not judge you if you promise not to judge me for just now moving my son out of his crib a month before he turns three.

KatieB said...

you're SO lucky that went down so easy!

cece said...

You are too sweet to offer. I just ordered one on etsy- handmade :) I had looked all over and just thought-- I'll look in Beth's favorite place.. of course I found one, and paid for it before you offered to make one or I totally would have paid you to make it. I do need your address and birthday though, I would like to get you on the birthday card list :)

cece said...

Okay- I emailed the link to you.

Matt & Brooke said...

We waited until Carson was 2 1/2 and it was SOOOO easy. I think when they are older and you have an explanation they actually listen! Congrats!

Aaron K. Hawkins said...

I love your writing - you crack me up. Thanks for the smile. Reminds me of how we got rid of Kathryn's binkey. It involved scissors, sabotage, and a few failed attempts. :)

Courtney said...

what a great idea. we are weaning my little man now. he only has his bink at night and I still have no idea how that will stop.

Alayna said...

Good for you! We had similar drama with my son. We waited until a few months after his sister was born. I was finally so sick of looking at the thing that I rounded them all up during one of his naps (including the one he'd fallen asleep with) and I cut the tips off. When he asked what happened, I told him he got too big and they broke. He was a little sad for a couple days, but he got over it.
I like your solution better!

Lisa C said...

A great idea...I'll have to remember that when the time comes!

Kweku and Laura said...

That is an awesome gift. I STILL remember the day my "blankie" as absconded. I was CERTAIN I was going to die. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Parenting, the journey I've so gladly embarked upon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails