Saturday, January 17, 2009

Card Organizer-Tutorial

My mother has always been very good at sending cards to family members and friends for their birthdays. Getting a handwritten card is special, but I have never been very good at remembering to send them in time. To solve this problem, I decided to create a card organizer that can be used year after year.Here's what you'll need to make your own:

  • Six pages of double sided 12 x 12 cardstock (scrapbooking paper)
  • Three 1 1/2 inch binder rings (available at office supply stores)
  • Hole punch
  • Glue stick
  • Calendar pages from SplitCoast Stampers printed on white printer paper
  • Two pieces of solid cardstock cut to 8 1/4" x 6 1/4" for the front and back cover
  • A score attachment for your paper cutter (for you fancy people) or flat edge for pressing the folds (for us less fancy)
Instructions:
  1. To create a pocket, measure one side of the 12 x 12 cardstock up 4 inches from the edge and fold (or score at 4 inches and fold).
  2. Use your flat edge (a popsicle stick will do. I used the tool that came with my letter rub-ons) to thoroughly crease your fold so it is completely flat.
  3. This is what your 12 x 12 paper should look like
  4. Then, fold the 12 x 12 length in half, so that the "pocket" is on the outside. This will create two pockets, one on either side of the fold.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 on all five pieces of 12 x 12 cardstock
  6. Put the pages in the order that you want them in your organizer. Then center one month page on each pocket and glue.
  7. Punch three holes in each page. One hole 3/4" from the bottom, one 3/4" from the top and one 4" down (in the middle). These should all be about 1/3" from the left edge. Make sure you punch holes through the cover as well.
  8. Add your cover to the top (In case you are wondering, I ran my cover through the printer first to add the word "celebrate" to the front-you could also use rub ons or leave it blank). Feed the three rings through the holes. The rings will look a little big to begin with, but once you fill your organizer with cards, you'll see why the rings need to be large.
  9. Voila! Problem solved. Now if I can just remember to use it....

If you love this idea, but don't feel like making it yourself, I have a couple listed in the shop.

7 comments:

Creative Minds said...

Great idea! I may have to try it.

BTW, your header is awesome!

jaime said...

Wonderful. Now if only it wasn't so hard to find double-sided stock!

Jenny said...

Cute idea Beth! Remembering dates is hard for me to. I think I may have to add it to my list of things to make!

cece said...

Love it!! Love it!! You make it look easy!

It totally helps keep track of everyone's special dates with an organizer like this. So far it's working for me and January's cards have gone out!

Julie said...

Thanks for posting this....it looks really cute and really easy!

{C}lique a.k.a. William Packard said...

So So cute! I love it! I have such a hard time remembering all those "special" occasions. And I love scrapping. I'll have to let you know if mine turns out as darling as yours.

BTW - Your site was reccommended from a friend of mine. You've got such a cute site I'm going to add you to my Blog List, Hope you don't mind!

Sharida said...

That comment above from "Clique" was really me. I was updating my husbands photography blog and didn't realize I was still signed in as him. Just thought that post would sound creepy if you thought it was coming from a guy. Sorry! lol

Related Posts with Thumbnails