Saturday, January 10, 2009

Another post in which I attempt to come up with lame superhero names

Yesterday's surgery went smoothly. Thank you to everyone who wrote emails or called to ask about his status and prayed for us. We are grateful to have so many loving friends!

Interestingly, when the surgery was over, the ENT came out for a consultation and said that Jak has been functioning with a 40 decibel hearing loss due to all the fluid in his ears!! Apparently, anything up to 40 decibels he wasn't even hearing---a clock ticking or whisper. In fact, normal conversation is only 60 decibels (Unless you are a member of the Zak's immediate family. Then it's more like 80)--no wonder he wasn't very obedient!!

Well, that's probably not the only reason.

I wish he could talk better so I could find out if he hears everything exponentially louder now. I guess I'll never know.

7 comments:

Mandi said...

Wow! It will be like a whole new world to Jakson with his new ability to hear above 40 decibels!
I'm glad everything went well.

Covey and Justin said...

Glad everything went well and Jackson is OK.

Cheryl said...

Who knew you could be so creative with tampons!!! I'll have to show Ben this one. :) Glad Jakson is ok. Hopefully it makes a big difference.

Mytutorlist.com said...

Poor kid! I'm glad the surgery went well. Hurray!

As for the Tamponitor... oh boy... that really is creative!

North Family Arizona said...

come on Beth why don't you tell everyone about Zak's other costume idea!!! C-Man to the Rescue!!!

cece said...

I had tubes in around the same age and my mom always said she thoughtI was just a bad listener until the surgery, well really just bad in general. She always said that it was a huge difference in my behavior afterwards because I could actually hear what she was asking me to do. So-I would expect the same result! Glad all went well.

Seth and Peggy said...

My nephew had a very very similar thing happen to him (not the tamponator, the hearing). The doctor said he heard everything as if we were all talking under water. At first he didn't like all the new noises, but his vocabulary and attitude changed really fast (I have no idea what Jakson is like but my nephew was really grumpy a lot---mostly because no one could understand the poor kid). Glad the tubes went in without a problem. Here's to Jakson starting to say "mom"!

Related Posts with Thumbnails