Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A glimpse

Christmas decorations make me happy. It's calming to walk downstairs during a long day and see the lights on the tree glitter. I almost wish I could leave it up all year long, but I hear that real trees sometimes suffer from spontaneous combustion and I don't really have the energy to deal with that.

Speaking of real trees, this is the second (third?) year in a row that we've had a real tree. It's been a fun tradition to go as a family and pick out a tree, but Santa is going to bring us a post Christmas present from Target this year in the form of a clearance pre-lit fake one. Over time this will be the cheaper option and we're all about cheap around here.
But this year we can appreciate the smell of a real tree (next year I guess I'll have to get a pine scented Wallflower or Zak says I should put two or three of those trees you hang on your rearview mirror around-also cheaper)
I thought Jakson would have a heyday playing with all of the ornaments, but I think once he realized that they are indestructible (all of our ornaments are either metal or wood), all the fun was sucked out. The only thing on the tree that even remotely interests him is the HAPPY HOLIDAYS banner-he likes to point and name the letters.

As a tradition, every year we buy each kid a new ornament. This year Jakson was old enough to choose his and he chose a car. (surprise, surprise)
Storey received an ornament from my first Christmas.
I've been experimenting with different ways to display received Christmas cards over the years and I think I've finally come up with something I'll use again. I just bought a wire wreath frame in the floral department of the fabric store and used small clothespins (found at Walmart) to attach the cards. It's simple and I like the way it looks.

And of course we have all of the old favorites, like the Nativity that Zak's grandma made, perfect for a home full of small children (unbreakable is HUGE theme in our home-I seriously don't even bother buying glass plates anymore) .
It's nice too because Jak can hold the characters of the Nativity story as we read from Luke.

If you are interested in seeing other decorations (it's a fun way to get inspiration) there are tons of homes linked here. Merry Christmas from the Vermillions!!

18 comments:

Kim@ForeverWherver said...

Your home is beautiful! I like your tradition with the ornaments. We collect an ornament from each trip. Thanks for sharing!

TCKK said...

You have a beautiful tree. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas

Danielle said...

What an awesome family picture! Did Jen take that?

Cyndi said...

Love the nativity set. What a great thing for small children.

i'm kelly said...

everything looks so beautiful! & the smell of a real christmas tree is the best.

Mytutorlist.com said...

Your tree looks so awesome! Merry Christmas to you too!

cece said...

What a pretty tree! Chris and I started an ornament tradition this year too. I thought it would be a nice one for us. I was lucky enough to find a really pretty owl and him a Baylor Bear. Oh and all of our onaments are shatter proof too... Great Danes tend to distroy things sometimes :)

Merry Christmas!

Amanda said...

I love the "Happy holidays" garland on your tree. That's so neat! Did you make or buy it? Merry Christmas to you and your family!

bethany said...

Isn't that garland fun? I found it at Michaels for like 3 bucks-I only wish it said Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays...oh well.

cece said...

It did snow about 5 years ago on Christmas eve and stuck, but that was the last time. It was so great though, really put you in a Christmas mood.

I hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas!

Carol said...

I am all about the pre-lit fakery. go for it! Love your tree! Thanks for sharing with us.

Merry Christmas from She Lives!

Leanna said...

i like your tree!

Vanessa said...

I love Storey's ornament, for some reason it just reminds me of her!

Noah's Mommy said...

you did a wonderful job...I love the Christmas Card Wreath....and what a beautiful family you have...

Carrie said...

Love the Christmas card idea! Thank you for sharing your home with us and have a very Merry Christmas!

Cyndi said...

Sometimes cheaper really IS better. I have a real tree and a fake tree and I much prefer the fake. I hate those stinkin' needles and the sap, too.

Your home is lovely! Merry Christmas!!

Ami said...

Beautiful family, and decorations! Thanks for sharing! Merry Christmas!

Heather said...

That's a great family picture! I like the wooden skier ornament. You could always place the tree-shaped air fresheners on the inside of your tree (along the center pole) to make your tree seem more "authentic" - the lights would warm the fresheners and help the scent to disperse as well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails