Sunday, December 21, 2008

Festive Dress

My friend Holly informed me a couple of months ago that girls get new Christmas dresses each year. In fact, she always got a new HANDMADE dress and has started the same tradition with her two girls. That's a lot to live up to.

And until two days ago, I had no intention of jumping on the Christmas dress bandwagon, but then I was feeling guilty and ran across some cute polyester (read: washable) silk looking fabric at the fabric store so decided to try out a pattern than has been sitting next to my sewing machine for months. I ended up changing the pattern quite a bit, especially since I had to size it down for Storey, but it turned out exactly how I had envisioned. I didn't want to leave Jakson out (because he would care and all), so I made him a little matching tie with the leftover dress scraps. How high school prom of me. I even threatened to make Zak a tie, but was met with a little resistance-and the statement that if I ever used the term "matchy matchy" in his presence again, he would quit speaking to me.

Of course, I didn't want all of my sewing to go undocumented, so before church this morning, we attempted a quick photo session.

Jakson wasn't thrilled with the idea.Obviously Storey can't sit up on her own yet, so we kind of leaned her against Jak. Unfortunately, he thought it was immensely amusing to move so she would fall over. Lesson learned: It's hard to get a decent picture of two small children in their Christmas attire.

11 comments:

Mandi said...

I just LOVE Storey's dress! What a great pattern!

And Jakson with the glove over his face is too funny!

West Family said...

okay, you are amazing! how do you find all the time?! Your children have got to be the cutest things ever! Merry Christmas!

Amanda said...

What a sweet dress! She looked great in it!

Julie said...

So cute! Love the one where Storey is falling and all you see is her arm. Yep, that's my favorite!

Vanessa said...

awesome dress!! you are a great seamstress. I love the pic of Storey's arm flying and Jak looking at her-LOL

KatieB said...

so in my ward in baltimore, there was was this girl that made matching easter outfits for her family. her husband's tie, her skirt, and her son's something that i can't even remember were all made out of the same fabric. it was...interesting...

Kerry said...

Storey's dress is adorable, and the picture of Jakson with the baseball glove covering his face is priceless! These pictures will serve as great memories!

bbh said...

Storey's dress is adorable... I wish I could have seen it in person but we had to leave church early... Piper and I came down with the flu and the rest of the family got it Sunday night. ICK! At least we have it over with before Christmas. Wish I had seen the Tutu tutorial sooner... I just finished out my tutu Saturday night and was really scratching my head trying to remember some of the steps... of course I should have thought to check online! --b

Erin said...

OK, just because I've been there...I LOVE the picture of Storey falling over behind her brother! When Ryland was still tiny I used to try to prop her up between Hunter and Cierra and the same thing seemed to happen...and this year when I attempted pictures at the pumpkin patch, CC kept moving the pumpin that Ry was proped up against. I guess it's just too hard to resist. haha

North Family Arizona said...

I love the look on Jak's face... "Who is this kid that's leaning on me and why is she here???"

Julia said...

I make Christmas outfits for my grandchildren. To see this year's go to my blog. It's several posts back. I used to sew for my 3 daughters now for theri children, 4 girls and one boy (he's the youngest). Sewing for a boy was fun and different. I'm presently working on outfits to send them for Valentine's. The girls' are all brown and pink coordinating fabrics. The little man's is blue denim and red fleece; I can't use pink for him.
I love your daughter's dress and both children are adorable.

Related Posts with Thumbnails