Friday, November 14, 2008

Ugly and Smelly

My friend Audra has a theory that little boys can't help but fall in love with ugly things. It's some sort of unexplainable magnetism.

Her youngest fell in love with this....It scares me. And he insisted on having it at the kitchen table at meal time.

Jakson's ugly obsession may not be as hideous as the Monstrosity (seen above) at first sight, but I'm sure it smells worse. And ruins all of my shared room plans.

It's this horrid bed found at a garage sale last weekend.Understand that we were not in the market for a toddler bed. We were in fact specifically looking for a new high chair because Jakson is apparently an incredibly violent eater and has ripped the high chair cover to shreds. Rather than buy or make a new cover, I thought it would be cheaper to just purchase another chair second hand. Little did I know that we would also be hauling this horrible thing home.

At first glance, it's in pristine condition. I Lysoled it down before putting together in Jak's room, but it didn't take long for us to figure out that there was something very very wrong with this bed.

It smells.

Awful.

We've washed it down with a hose, drilled holes in the bottom to drain out any extra fluid, and used other household cleaning products in an attempt to kill the smell. Nothing works. It's smelling up my house. Because of this bed, we're losing friends.

Okay-it's not that dramatic, but close.

And he loves it. Not just LOVES it, but is PASSIONATE about it.

Our last ditch attempt will be tomorrow. Using A LOT of bleach. Let's hope it works. I don't think he'll understand the reasoning We have to get rid of the bed because it's smelly.

9 comments:

Covey and Justin said...

If you can figure out a way for me to get it to you I will happily send Elijah's car bed to Jackson. We have the exact same bed only ours isn't stinky. You would probably be better off buying anew one than shipping our from NC but the offer stands.
-Covey

Mea Culpa Bath and Body said...

lol....you really made me giggle as sad as it was...lol....I do feel your pain girl :-)


about your interest in being a tester, I would LOVE to have you abroad. You will have to fill out the form on the right so I can know where to email you with potential product testing requests :-)
http://mea-culpa-aromatherapycreations.blogspot.com/

Amanda said...

I was laughing outloud at this. Good luck with the smell!

Erin said...

hands down, the funniest thing I've heard today! good luck with smell removal :)

KatieB said...

yeah, i don't think the bleach is going to help with the smell. i think you're just going to have to suck it up and by a new one of the same bed.

KatieB said...

and i know how to spell buy. i was an editor!

Audra Bollard said...

okay, this is just creepy: we have that SAME bed! Ethan saw it online when I was researching toddler beds and fell in love with it right before his second birthday and (much to my chagrin), my mother-in-law bought it for him. I'm almost ready to get rid of it--too bad you don't live closer because ours doesn't smell. I can't figure out how it could smell--the thing is just plastic? And you know about my kids and throwing up--if mine doesn't smell nobody's should!

I'm so glad that you and I can relate on some of these "raising little boys" issues. With Elizabeth having Julia and Annie pregnant with a girl it brings our Northwoods girl count up to 12!

And, in case anyone is wondering, the monstrocity is alive and well. Grrrrr . . . .

Audra Bollard said...

Oh, and Luke destroyed a high chair too. The bolts actually flew out. I so feel your pain.

Matt & Brooke said...

Wow, now that is just gross...I think you need to just buy the same one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails