Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Prop. 102

I try to stay away from controversial issues on the blog as much as possible. I've seen some hateful comments when friends of mine have talked politics in blog posts and really don't want to deal with the drama. That said, I am extremely immersed in all things political. I like to be informed, aware, and opinionated. Everything leading to the upcoming election on the national level intrigues me and I've followed it closely. I don't feel passionate about either candidate and at this point will be voting for the lesser of two evils. Frankly, I don't care who you vote for as long as you do your research....

On the state level in Arizona, there is a Proposition that I DO feel passionate about because it effects me and my children on a personal level. Prop. 102. If passed, it will add the following to the state constitution:
Only a union of one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in this state.

Before you call me "homophobe", hear me out. I have no problem with gays/lesbians. I watch Ellen. :) I hired staff who were homosexuals when I ran camps. I have friends who are gay. *GASP* The kind of friends I go out to dinner with on the weekend and introduce my children to-I don't believe that their choice of lifestyle is right, but I have a "love the sinner, hate the sin" mentality. Essentially, what I don't want is the homosexual agenda forced on my family.

Don't think it will happen in our schools, funded by our tax dollars? An article was recently published in the San Fransisco Gate, applauding a class of first graders for going on a field trip to their teacher's same sex wedding (BTW-one argument I've seen says that it was a Charter School, therefore not funded by our tax dollars and the general public should have no say in the school's curriculum choices. Obviously, that person did not research charters. They are FULLY funded by our tax dollars.). When did non-curricular activities like this become appropriate? But it is justified because it's "teaching" the value of this type of union. What?!? I didn't make a field trip out of my nuptials! I am a huge advocate of parents teaching children values/principles/ethical beliefs at home. The school is NOT a place for teachers or administration to indoctrinate small children (or ANY children for that matter).

This will not be an isolated incident if Proposition 102 (or 8 in California) does not pass. It's true that it says nothing about adding same sex marriage to educational curriculum, but without the amendment, it will HAVE to be taught as equal to a traditional "one woman one man" union-a teaching I do not believe.

What DO I believe? In 1995, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints published The Family: A Proclamation to the World (a document that everyone ought to read at least once, LDS or not). It states:
We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children.
One man and one woman. That is all.

In the end, the proposition is not about gay marriage at all, but about the protection of the definition of marriage. If Prop. 102 (also applies to 8) does not pass, there will no longer be ANY definition of marriage in our state constitution. This will open up a whole new can of worms-it starts with same-sex marriages, but where will it end? In a few years will a brother be able to marry his sister, man and three woman, couples marry couples, a woman to her beloved cat? All joking aside, there will be no limits and lawsuits directed at churches, doctors, adoption agencies, and private companies will inundate the courts. This is not the environment that I want my children to grow up in. Gay or straight, male or female, I don't believe that any of us want the repercussions the elimination of a marriage definition will cause.

I know what I'm going to vote on November 4th. Do you?

Yes on 102. Yes on 8.

Related Posts with Thumbnails